Friday, October 13, 2006

Holding Down The Fort

It's been happening for years, really.

I've been helping others get the most out of their youth ministry gifts, passions and talents. The uninitiated call it things like "training." Or "delegating." Even "working yourself out of a job." It isn't unusual and business folks write books on how to do that kind of thing.

Well, this week I'm seeing it up-close and personal.

Nathan is leading the major charge: About 190 folks getting on 4 luxury motor coaches and heading off to Pine Cove for our annual middle school Fall Retreat. All sorts of logistics are involved and there are all sorts of possible things that could go wrong (but most likely won't) but the PC staff is top drawer and the deal pretty much is seemless every year.

His assistant Heather is running alongside him on that deal, too. She's learning how to run the show for future reference. She's seen it run last year, this year she's a bit more active and next year she'll be more involved in the planning stages.

Steve-O is taking the high schoolers who will be serving this weekend in the kitchen (helps keep the camp's costs down) in the van. He'll be running that show. Driving the van. Making sure the high schoolers get to go to the grocery store for snacks and playing Commando. It's got its very own built-in set of responsibilities.

I think Kristy is pretty much running in both circles, getting exposure to how they both run. Primarily, she'll be running with the high schoolers if my memo is correct and getting ready to be ready to lead that side of the trip next year, too.

Me?

If you need me, I'll be representing our staff at the Mound Showdown at Texas Stadium tonight. There'll be some 20,000 folks at the game. Me and other area youth pastors will sit in the end zone to avoid the appearance of favoritism. I don't think the kids would care if we did show favoritism but all of them at least know we're there because we're the only ones in the end zone.

I'll also be making sure Sunday School and other details on that end run smoothly while they're enjoying their last day of the weekend.

See, a long time ago, when I was obsessing about what would happen when we moved into the new building and our ministry got bigger and I had to hire and train and delegate and all the change that would come into my life if things went according to Hoyle...

...and Tracy reminded me that I would now have a chance to be a part of the work of God that most youth ministers only get to dream about--I was anxious about the changes and was considering chucking it all--so why would I bail when it reality it was all I ever wanted in a student ministry?

So...I stuck it out.
And it is all I ever wanted in a student ministry.
It did go according to Hoyle. Better than Hoyle, actually.
As a staff, we'll be rocking more ministry in one weekend than most do in a month. Than some do in a year.
I've seen God bring the right people at the right time and a solid set of volunteers to boot.
And my staff is good at student ministry, man. Scary good.
And it's oh so cool to see it happening.

I'll be holding down the fort.
It's the way its supposed to be.

Yes, I know that feelings are responders.
Yes, I know that feelings can, will and do lie to you.

But I feel like the old dog that sits on the porch while the younger ones chase the tires on the passing cars: Pretty excited about the commotion. Understanding of how much fun they're having. Pleased they're running around and doing what they're supposed to be doing.

And knowing darn well that I could get out there and chase those cars. Truth be told I know I could still do it as good or even better. But, frankly, I'll be having fun in my own way: Knowing my place and my role.

So when its their time to delegate it out to some other puppies in about 15 years, they'll sit on the porch and know their place and their role. And let those young dogs have their fun...

...while they hold down the fort.

It's the way its supposed to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home