Friday, February 17, 2006

You Can Tell A Lot About A Person By Their iPod Screen

That being said, thanks to a generous iTunes gift certificate from The Higher-Order Barnstorming Sentz Family, I downloaded a butt-load of tunes. Deduce what you will, but here's the list:

In Utero by Nirvana.
Nevermind by Nirvana.

I had them both on cassette and needed to get them to the pod. I called the local used CD store and I could get them both cheaper from iTunes than used from the store. As of this moment, I seriously don't think there's a recorded Nirvana song I don't have.

13 Songs by Fugazi.

The Offsprings and Green Days of the world could learn a lot from the Social Distortions and Fugazis that came before them. "Waiting Room" is a terrific song, and if you listened to it, you'd slap Blink 182 for even existing.

Lenny Kravitz

I got a few songs from him. How great is that song "Where Are We Runnin'?"

Greatest Hits by Smashing Pumpkins.

The stuff that wasn't made popular by Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness is even better...and the popular stuff is really good. Very intelligent stuff, and if there's a teenager who can't relate to the words, "Intoxicated...by the madness...I'm in love with...my sadness..." well, I think they'll stand the test of time for that reason alone. It's cool to bash 'em, but they're good. Plus, who can forget Homer Simpson's memorable lines:

"Hi, I'm Billy Corgan. Smashing Pumpkins."
"And I'm Homer Simpson. Smiling Politely."

Plus, "Well, I'm gonna miss you Pumpkins."

Time Capsule by The B-52's.

Are you kidding? Song for a Future Generation. Private Idaho. Strobe Light. Planet Claire. Rock Lobster. Quiche Lorraine. Love Shack. Maybe the initial treatment for depression should be to listen to this CD three times...if that doesn't work, then hit the Prozac. I'm getting happy just thinking about it. Plus there's a forgotten little song called 52 Girls that should never have been forgotten.

Kicking Television: Live in Chicago by Wilco. I've been meaning to grab this CD ever since I heard it came out. I wanted to hear what all the rage was about, and I listened to it once all the way through, but I was doing other stuff. At first listen, there's a reason that they're all the rage. I'll need a couple of more hearings before I jump on the bandwagon, but that first song "Misunderstood" is excellent.

The only thing I didn't get that was on my list was Lost and Found by Jason & The Nashville Scorchers. I have it on tape (which I recorded from my album) and they don't have it on iTunes--although they have a rarities & b-sides and some live stuff from them, but I'm looking specifically for that album.

My iPod's belly is full from yesterday's feast...and I'd imagine it'll take a few months for digestion.

Now keep in mind that these purchases were AFTER I already had 8 gig loaded onto the pod...so, if you had a music shopping spree, what bands/songs are you missing that need to be added?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home