Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The Big Four-Oh

As a general rule, I keep my birthday rather low-key. I rarely even tell my teenagers or others in my congregation.

My suspicions are that this year will be different. I'm turning 40. Today. We have a staffer who makes a big to-do over everybody's birthday on our floor, complete with signs and banners. It's nice in it's own weird way and we get cake during staff meetings whenever one rolls around...and it tends to ratchet up on the years someone's ends in a zero.

And the youth minister turns 40.

Today.

I'm pretty sure everyone will have a field day with it, too. I mean, let's be honest. How many YOUTH PASTORS are 40? And when the (wrong, and certainly NOT true per capita in my congregation, but it's still there) perception of the general populace of any congregation is that you're the court-jester in the senior pastor's kingdom, well, I'd imagine the good-natured ribbing will commence when I hit the office at 8:30AM. There are worse things.

But, frankly, if you're asking me, 40 ain't all bad.

I mean, 13 was good. You were officially a teenager. I had the chicken pox but went bowling with my friends anyway.

15 was better than most. I got my learner's permit and mom let me drive the Chevy Citation home.

16 was one of the best for me. Driver's license and a car. A 1977 Cutlass Supreme. It came with an 8-track player which lasted about a week or so until I replaced it with a cassette deck. The rims and tires came later. I loved that car.

18 was the first time I remember feeling grown up. That very day I went and registered to vote and signed up to sign up for a military draft if they ever reinstated it. It all seemed, so, well, responsible.

19 was a banner day as, back then, the drinking age was legal in Alabama. I'd have to go back and look at my journals to see what I did, but I don't remember it being that big of a deal...It must've been on a weekday because I don't recall it being much of a deal.

21 was notable because you believed you were a grown up.

25 was notable because your car insurance rates went down exponentially, and it that time of my life, every buck mattered. Not that we're flush now, by any means, but loose change didn't even last long back then.

30 found us in a lousy life-station. I was working two jobs. Going to school full-time. A 4-year-old and a 2-year-old. And a church situation that was a misfit for me and my family. We were miserable. I was miserable. The only saving grace was living in a duplex with some of the best friends Tracy and I've had in our married life.

And 40 finds me in a great life-station.

My kids seem relatively well-adjusted and happy. This in no way reflects excellence on my part of the parenting, mind you, I'm just saying that despite the court-jester as a father, they've overcome much.

My wife is growing in ways that encourage and inspire me. This in no way reflects excellence on my part as the spouse, mind you, I'm just saying that despite the court-jester as a husband, she's overcome much.

My career seems to be going well. This in no way reflects excellence on my part as the pastor, mind you, I'm just saying that despite the court-jester as a minister, the congregation lovingly overlooks much.

It seems like I'm finally getting a handle on this enigma called Walking With Christ. It's taken 27 years, but I'm beginning to get my arms around it. This in no way reflects anything on my part. Christ has done much in spite of my being a court-jester in His Kingdom.

It seems like I'm finally getting a handle on what matters and what doesn't...which really makes life swell. Which doesn't really make me a court-jester, I don't guess.

So, all in all, 40 from where I'm sitting blows 30 out of the water. Bring it on.

As I said before, I'm generally given to a low-key birthday. But Sue (who, by the way, is the mother to five consistent bloggers--in-laws included, which might be a record of sorts) leaked it yesterday, Kendra was on her heels with it in the comments, too, and there's no escaping the office Birthday Bunny.

But honestly...

...today...

I'll accept the loving jokes and all very joyfully. You can do that when 40 finds you living a charmed life.

So, if you want to celebrate my birthday in traditional Diner fashion, let's all...(you fill in the blanks, faithful readers)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home