Wednesday, January 04, 2006

A Lot Can Happen On A Day Off

Took the car in for her 12,000 mile check up. Everything's good to go.

Went to the bank to deposit the old paycheck.

Picked up some snacks for a "movie watching" afternoon my oldest daughter decided to host...even remembered the bag of ice, so I did pretty good. (They chose "Batman Begins").

Got the car washed. I can't believe what you can overhear when people talk on their mobile phones.

Took some stuff from the garage to the local charity thrift store. There were 11 cars in line ahead of me, two behind me.

Picked up some CD's at the used CD store with Christmas money...gotta use the rest on clothes.

Picked up a soft drink for one of the teens...special dietary restriction required a diet soda. When dealing with teenagers, I rarely purchase diet soft drinks.

Helped move some IKEA furniture Tracy put together. She purchased it about 6 weeks ago and she finally had some time since we'd voluntarily banished ourselves to the back of the house with occasional random strolls into the kitchen.

My oldest daughter wasn't to hip on searching for a softball team for her to play on in the spring time. I don't know if this is fatigue from the beginning of the semester or a major life shift. Time will tell...but I will say it's an adventure watching your children grow up and try to figure out who they are and what they're about.

I read this quote in my hammock because we set a record temperature here in Dallas yesterday...84 lovely degrees Farenheit. Yeah, that's 30 lovely degrees Farenheit warmer than normal. But by the time I got in the hammock with my book it was pretty much a very nice 65 lovely degrees Farenheit. Anyway, here's the quote from Doug Pagitt: "The question that haunts me is not, 'Do people like our church?' but 'Is there any real human formation happening?' Two decades from now, will our efforts at human formation show a contribution to the lives we have led for the past 20 years? Will they have helped us live as blessings to the world, or will we simply be living the kind of self-absorbed 'personal' Christian lives that are so common today?...Oddly, many Christians find that their fellow congregants play no more crucial a role in their daily lives than the people they walk past in the grocery store. They share a common experience from time to time and receive services from the same organization, but little else." Hmmmm...

Washed dishes. Changed sheets on the bed. Ignored the Orange Bowl. Fell asleep.

And, now, I really feel like 2006 is starting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home