Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Resolutions

Every year I do go through the motions of making resolutions. As with every human, some hit, other miss...and this year's took a while to simmer with spending the holidays in Alabama and with New Year's Day falling on a Sunday (work day for me) there really wasn't a lot of time for reflection. I got some time yesterday, however, and here's some things I'd like to accomplish for 2006:

I'd like to finish a half-marathon. After getting nit-picking injuries after training for a full one and never getting past the 18 mile runs, maybe I should scale back my ambitions. So, yeah. I'll either run the half in Dallas in the spring or run the Rock in Dallas in December.

I'd like to finish the book that's been percolating in my brain for about three years now.

and

I'd like to lovingly influence the future of our church by taking proactive steps now based on where we think we'll be in 10 years. Sometimes, institutions get into comfortable ruts that are really only mirages of safety. I'd like to continually provoke and prod without unnecessarily irritating others. But I have some firm beliefs and ideas...so be forewarned.

I like to keep them simple and specific, too. The less vague the better...and they are measurable. I mean, I'll either finish the book or I won't. I'll finish the half-marathon or I won't. And I have some measureable points for my last one that aren't for public consumption.

And it should be an interesting year in many ways:

My mom's health is a day-to-day proposition.
My oldest daughter will start high school...not to mention trying to find a softball team to help her prepare for trying out for her high school team.
My youngest daughter will have auditions for summer ballet workshops (think "Fame" for two months) so this ballet thing gets to the real, live ups-and-downs faze.
My wife's business is getting to a point where growth is causing her to have to balance the art and the "business," which should stretch her and cause her to grow.
I have work-related trips already on the agenda: Winter Park, CO; Juarez, Mexico; Westcliffe, CO; and Alkmaar, Holland. Not to mention a whole slew of ideas to implement in the student ministry due to staffers who "get it."

So, even though it's three days late, it feels to me as if the year is only now just starting.

*like Kuzco in "The Emperor's New Groove"--voiced by David Spade:*

"Bring it on."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home