Saturday, December 31, 2005

2005 At A Glance

January:My Auburn Tigers beat Virginia Tech in their bowl game to go 13-0, and, frankly, lay legitimate claim to the mythical NCAA college football championship (only USC's victory over a highly overrated Oklahoma team kept them from it--but, if you ask me, USC should stop all this "3 in a row" talk...LSU in 2003, Auburn in 2004 have a claim).

February: I saw Stavesacre live at The Door.

March: I was going through angst like this, "You might always be, and be viewed, as a reservoir of unreached potential."

April: I hung out in San Francisco with my higher-order life-liver sister Jilly and saw the Bay Area from her plane.

May: Grant & Amanda got married, as did Jeremy and Lori. I was in a huge funk. Some teenagers I care about a great deal graduated from my student ministry & gave me a watch that means just about as much to me as any gift my students have ever given me--largely because of my relationship with them as well as their rationale for giving it to me.

June: Another great trip to Mexico...this time to build 5 houses in 3.5 days with 107 people camping out for a week. I'm still amazed that we get that done every year.

July: Christy and Joshua got married. And then I went to the Bay Area again to watch my higher-order life-liver sister Jilly get married to the guy I would've picked to marry her, and seeing her that happy (and seeing that happiness continue) really made my year. I can't imagine what it did to hers.

August: Hurricanes hit the Gulf Coast, and people actually wound up in Dallas because of the danger and the damage. If the images on TV didn't cause your heart to break, then hearing the stories first-hand of the people affected while they were having dinner in your church did.

September: My mom's cancer came back and she started chemo treatments. I have had just about every emotion tested since then. I can't imagine what it's done to Mom's.

October: I saw Social Distortion live at The Granada. It was terribly close to a worship experience.

November: Nathan & Kim had a baby girl. Shelby danced The Nutcracker. And Auburn beat Alabama for the 4th year in a row.

December: We had an enjoyable (and hectic) visit with family and it's going to end with Steve-O marrying Michelle later today.

And, my wife's business keeps on growing because it rides on the coattails of her talent...and she's VERY good at what she does. I couldn't be more proud of her at this stage in our lives.

And, my love for my daughters keeps on growing because it rides on the coattails of watching them become who they're supposed to be in Christ. Even if the cost of that is the two of them getting a bit more independent of us, it's well worth the payment to see the young women they're becoming.

And, Lloyd continues to get it done.

So, goodbye 2005. See ya around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home