Thursday, November 24, 2005

Predictably, Part 2: I'm Truly Thankful For...

...The person and work (both finished and continuing) of Jesus Christ, which revolutionized the fabric of my life.
...My wife, who after 17 years of putting up with me, inspires me, encourages me and excites me beyond my expectations--which were pretty high to begin with.
...My girls, who have made parenting fun and enjoyable and rewarding--even in the pre-teen and teen years--and people tell me I'm a good parent when the reality is they're good kids.
...the health of our family. The worst we've dealt with is hearing loss and a sporadic breathing problem that's easily treatable.
...a sister who seems happier than ever, and a brother-in-law who enhanced that reality.
...mom, which stark realities only highlight my thankfulness, and the great job she did under extreme duress in the 80's.
...in-laws who I liked, and now love and like--and, from what I can gather, they seem to reciprocate those feelings.
...a nephew who is the All-American boy and a neice who is really an easy-to-love mess, and their parents who don't seem to mind rogue influences of Uncle Brent the subversive hippie.
...a church family that loves me and cares for me and trusts me with the most precious of cargo, even though they've seen almost a decade of warts--and gives my family a chance to "do life" together (and after over 9 years together, we've done some life: funerals, weddings, baptisms, graduations, daily warps & woofs, etc.)
...that same church that lets me live life the only way I know how and they actually pay me for it. I still kinda chuckle when they hand me my paycheck because I feel like I've pulled a fast one on the world.
...a Senior Pastor who is the most spiritual man I know, and a Lead Pastor (read: boss) who gives the senior pastor a photo finish.
...a "team" under our lead pastor that makes going to work every single day fun, not to mention the stark reality that they're all brilliant at what they do--it's like playing on Michael Jordan's team: You've got to get better at what you do every minute to keep up with him.
...Nathan and Steve-O, who are putting the coolest fingerprints on what Dave started and I continued--and the prominent women in their lives, Kim (and baby chica) and Mish.
...the various friendships that have been cultivated and maintained throughout that "job" and how much I've learned about life from the students I serve(d).
...students who are continuing to allow the subversive hippie youth pastor into their world, even though he's pushing 40.
...and I'm thankful that most of the people mentioned above read this blog consistently and make comments--which allows for continuing "community" life together.
...the educational opportunities I've gotten over the years--even if they pretty much served to show me how valuable those opportunities are since I didn't take advantage of them early on.
...the recent stretch of days off and the rest I'm getting. I didn't know how much I needed the break.

And I guess I should stop now. Everything else seems trivial...even though I'm thankful for that stuff, too. I lead a charmed life, and I'm blessed beyond what I can comprehend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home