Monday, November 21, 2005

Smiles can fade pretty quickly...

I have my mobile phone rigged to play "Sweet Home Alabama" whenever friends and family from my home state call it.

Lately, it's had ups and downs when it rings. Such is the nature when your mom is fighting cancer again. Good days & bad days seem to run about 50/50.

Today is a bad day. During round 2 of chemotherapy, of which she's in the exact middle, her immune system is pretty waylaid.

Phone rings.
Hospital admission.
Staph infection...which will be treated for a couple of days as an in-patient.
Which ruins her Thanksgiving trip to the Bay Area which she was looking forward to. (yes I know that's not a horrible thing, but it still would've been fun for her and her husband)

And I'm in Dallas.

I may drive in later today or tomorrow. We'll see.

But I gotta admit, even though I didn't say it out loud, I thought the "f-word."

I hope you don't think less of me for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home