Friday, November 18, 2005

Boycotts

I was asked to comment on the nature of "Christian boycotts." Apparently, some fundamentalist group has made Starbucks the target of their political action. I'm not sure of all the details (although I'm sure it has to do with combating a homosexual agenda of some sort) so I'll speak generally:

First, boycotts don't "work" as far as hindering businesses...especially those boycotts of fundamentalists. The highly-publicized Disney boycotts a few years back came and went and plenty of Christians hauled off to the Magic Kingdom anyway. In fact, Disney's corporate profits were never higher than during the organization's boycotts.

Second, boycotts do have a place. They're well within their rights of free speech and all that. I'm a big fan of the first amendment, so let them kick around and make their voice heard. Good for them. So, go ahead, AFA, and exercise your rights. It is America after all.

Third, boycotts certainly don't change hearts and minds. They tend to polarize oppostions. So, if the goal is winning souls for the Kingdom, that organization is sadly misguided and wasting their breath. However, I don't think that's their goal...

...which, frankly, should the organization's goal. Hence, I'm not sure I can empathize with them or join in their concern.

So, I'll enjoy the new line of holiday drinks at the local Starbucks guilt-free. Egg Nog Chai Latte. Grande. I simply hope they don't judge my choice as evidence of lack of spirituality, and I'll do the same for them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home