Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Yesterday...

...I saw a child-care business in our community advertising on their sign that they were "Now Open 24 Hours!" I couldn't understand why they'd have an exclamation point after that or what our society is coming to that they could actually increase their business in providing a needed service of that ilk.

...I talked to my mom, who diffused much of my concern about her recent unexpected hospitilazation with humor. I'm still wrestling with whether or not to go. She SAYS she wants me to stay here and that everything's under control there. And that was the deal we made when she first was undergoing chemo, too. If she wants me there, all she has to do is say it. That was the deal...but now I'm wondering if moms would ever say they wanted their children to come see them. I don't think that moms can make deals that don't force their kids to read between the lines.

...I listened to the Birmingham radio station talk about the game. Technology can be fun that way, because when I was a kid you could only get music/news/sports broadcast in your city and now you can do all that wherever you are from thousands of miles away. On the other hand, the Auburn Tigers website that used to let you listen to games and watch highlights and get photos for free now charges. I can't blame them, but it's akin to a drug dealer: They give it to you free at first to get you hooked and then charge you later knowing you want it.

...I laughed at all the grownups in line at 7:30PM last night at Target waiting for the release of the Xbox 360 because they had heard they were having a special store opening at midnight. No such luck: Normal store hours beginning at 8AM today. Worked out for Target though as a couple of dudes bought some folding chairs and blankets.

...I discovered there's a ton of Mp3 sermons and Biblical teaching availabe on-line (now including our own church). Another good thing about the internet is that there is a lot of solid spiritual growth possibilities available (hopefully, they won't go the way of the Auburn Tigers website, either).

...My daughter's iPod playlist booming while she was getting ready sounded very retro, including Bob Dylan and the Rolling Stones and AC/DC and even some Motorhead. We might not be doing a lot right as parents, but I think musicially we aren't doing too bad.

...My daughter's choice of a night with dad (after I gave lots of 'going out' options): Dinner at Pazzo's--a wood fired pizza place--and watching The Breakfast Club and Zoolander on DVD at home with me. Again, movie wise I think we're doing something right. She also asked me what time South Park came on. Cool.

...I realized it takes me two or three days to get "unwound" and begin to rest on my vacation. I'm almost there, so I should get four or five really restful days. We'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home