Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Deep Thought From Underneath A Tree Yesterday

From Brian McLaren in "A Generous Orthodoxy":

"What we will be is not yet clear to us. What we are becoming is presently only visible as through a glass darkly. As we see the glorious image of God in the face of Christ, as we lean toward that image that beckons us forward, as we identify it as our true destiny and the pearl of great price that we seek, we are purified and transformed inwardly, from glory to glory. We constantly emerge from what we were and are into what we can become--not just as individuals, but as participants in the emerging realities of families, communities, cultures, and worlds."

The funk has subsided.

I think part of the cause was that I sense God's transformation of me...as it is happening and not in retrospect. This caused me to be in a nearly constant state of tension between who I am and who I am becoming, which, frankly, I'm not sure I am comfortable with.

However, the advice that came to me in a crystal clear way under a tree by the library at my old college yesterday, is advice I give continually to teenagers:

Enjoy being removed from your comfort zone.
You are in process.
The past is prologue.
The journey is most of the fun.

The phrase I often use is that you're going to have to get comfortable walking around with your shoes untied. Sure, it's safer to have them tied in a neat little bow and it certainly makes moms happier if their tied. But, if we're honest, the reality that we were so busy having fun that we didn't notice they were untied, and too busy having fun to lace them back up, well, it's more exciting.

Physician, heal thyself.

So, goodbye to the funk.
You came without warning.
You stayed too long.
Good riddance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home