Sunday, June 19, 2005

Tales From The Road

Kelsey and I took off from Flower Mound around 6:10AM for Birmingham, Alabama to stay overnight before I drop her off at AU softball camp and head for some spiritual de-funking in the land of my college days.

The road trip was largely uneventful. We split CD choices, and I went with The Crystal Method first. She went with Stavesacre (out of MY pile). She went with Social Distortion (again out of my pile). We finished up with Pearl Jam and Pillar. It's pretty nice travelling with someone with the same musical tastes.

At one point, I wanted to listen to some sermons that my pastor gave me from some leadership club he's in...it's like the best sermons from the best preachers around the country. Kelsey, not wanting to but knowing her dad well enough to know it's going to happen, in her best teenager sarcasm says, "Let's listen to this one, Dad. It even includes a bonus sermon."

For lunch she said she wanted Taco Bell, but would settle for a McDonald's. No such luck in Vicksburg. In Clinton, we encountered an exit with both side by side but due to construction all the signs were down and we didn't see them until we were past the exit. Kelsey: "Awww, man. That was the best exit in the history of exits and we missed it!" Sometimes, McDonald's in Jackson can be in bad parts of town and you don't even know it until you're in it...but you still don't say anything to your daughter. We were back on the road in 20 minutes.

People who have an interest in your arrival who also own cell phones really don't like it when your daughter forgets to turn hers on. There were 4 voice mails right after lunch.

I forget what a pretty city my hometown is. It's like someone dropped a city into a forest.

I was tempted to head off to this outdoor music festival Birmingham throws every year called City Stages. It's actually a very cool deal, with good bands downtown and people mill about and have a good time. Last night, (among MANY others) The Killers played and Def Leppard headlined. Tonight, The Black Crowes headline. Again, tempted, but not for another two hour drive.

An underappreciated restaurant chain by locals is a hamburger joint called Milo's. The double cheeseburger with extra sauce, great fries and sweet tea is something Birminghamians take for granted...but move away, and I guarantee you you'll stop by every time you're in town. We did. Milo's didn't disappoint.

An underappreciated thing is how little I get to see my neice & nephew. I had a ball for a couple of hours goofing with them, and was even a little sad they had to leave at around 10PM. My neice is a mess, so naturally I enjoy her...and my nephew is into baseball in a big way, so naturally I enjoy him, too.

Today, we're off to another underappreciated restaurant by locals, Lloyd's (in no way related to my dog), to take my father-in-law to Father's Day lunch. I won't need a menu, as my hamburger steak, medium well, with extra gravy, onions and mushrooms will do just fine...and that'll be Thousand Island dressing on the salad, too. So, Happy Father's Day to all applicable fathers out there!

And then we drive to Auburn to check-in at the camp. I'm actually looking forward to the drive. It's been 11 years since I've made it, and I'm intrigued as to what thoughts and emotions it'll stir up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home