Saturday, June 18, 2005

Out And About

"I want to keep my soul fertile for the changes, so things keep getting born in me, so things keep dying when it is time for things to die. I want to keep walking away from the person I was a moment ago, becuase a mind was made to figure things out, not read one page again and again...

...And so my prayer is that your story will have involved some leaving and some coming home, some summer and some winter, some roses blooming out like children in a play. My hope is your story will be about changing, about getting something born inside of you...

...we get one story you and I, and one story alone. God has established the elements, the setting, the climax and the resolution. It would be a crime not to venture out, wouldn't it?

...It might be time for you to go. It might be time to change, to shine out.
Let me repeat one word for you:

Leave.

Roll the word around on your tongue for a bit. It is a beautiful word, isn't it? So strong and forceful, the way you always wanted to be. And you will not be alone. You have never been alone. Don't worry, everything will still be here when you get back. It is you who will have changed."

--Donald Miller, in the introduction of his book "Through Painted Deserts" available online at www.bluelikejazz.com.


I'm off to spend a week de-funking and seeking God in east Alabama. I'll hit the open road in five minutes. And, yes, I'll have internet access (they've got that there now)--which might lead to the best blogs you've ever read or more mundane drivel. That's to be seen.

But, I'm leaving.

I need to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home