Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Five on The First

Again, I stole this idea from other blogs, but I wanted to get some "lists" going on the first of each month. Last time, I went with 5 restaurants you'd want everyone to visit.

Today, what are the 5 fondest memories you have with your family (include extended family here and there, too)?

5. Christmas Eve in my paternal grandparent's home growing up. The house was too small, there was too much food and too much family, stockings, an obnoxious uncle and a drunk friend of the family, and an awful lot of love.

4. Annual summer trips to the Gulf Coast with my maternal grandparents. An entire week at the beach with all my aunts, uncles and cousins. There were day trips to "boardwalk-type" amusement parks, playing in the ocean, deep sea fishing, waiting 30 minutes after dinner before we could go swimming...the works.

3. Long weekends at my family's river cabin over most holiday weekends. Fishing and water skiing. Obnoxious uncles drinking a few beers and taking us inner-tubing behind the ski boat. Obnoxious uncles drinking a few beers and grilling hamburgers and hot dogs. Obnoxious uncles drinking a few beers and playing ukeleles. Listening to Atlanta Braves baseball games on the radio while sitting in a hammock on the shade.

2. Playing "hi's and low's" with my family around the dinner table a couple of times a week. It may sound simple, but my most enjoyable family times are hanging out at my house with nothing really on the agenda.

1. The four vacations my family has taken together: Two-weeks at the Gulf Coast in what was the most relaxing time I've had since I started working...as we didn't do anything but swim and sun and eat out for 14 days. A week in Walt Disney World in Orlando...it really is magic that I can't explain. Two different trips to New York City (the greatest city on earth) complete with broadway shows and sporting events and sightseeing and hanging out with my nuclear family and my sister (the coolest family on earth).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home