Monday, March 28, 2005

Don't Go See This Movie!

The family and I hauled off and saw "Robots" yesterday. It might've been the worst movie I've ever paid to see at the theater. Don't bother...it's terrible. The worst movie I've ever seen was a horror movie in the 80's called "Chopping Mall." Really, "Robots" was on par with that.

So THAT'S How The Other Half Lives

Our church normally has four services, two in the morning and two in the evening, which makes for a long day on Sundays. Even if you do something in the afternoon, the schedule goofs things up. For example, maybe you'd like to watch the Cowboys game with friends. You can't because you couldn't get there until about 20 minutes after kickoff (the noon starts or the 7:30PM starts) or you'd miss the 2nd half (the 3PM start). You can't take in a ball game or anything like that because you have to be back from 5 to 8PM. I've been working all day Sunday in one form or another almost my entire time at Crossroads since we used to have Sunday School at night and we'd have to clean up afterward.

However, yesterday, with four Easter services in the morning, I had a Sunday afternoon with nothing on the agenda for the rest of the day. We had a very nice lunch (my wife's a pretty darn good cook when she has the time to do it) and good conversation, cleaned the kitchen, went to the horrible movie but had fun anyway making fun of it, dyed Easter eggs (a bit late, but it's fun for us and we'd had a busy Saturday and didn't want to rush it), and Shelby and I read out in the hammock (we'll finish the entire Narnia series tonight). Then I went to bed early (9:30) and woke up late (for me...I slept in until 6:30 today).

Man, that was kinda cool. I can see why people that don't work for churches love Sundays so much.

I Hate To Say I Told You So, But...Really I Don't.

I commented last week about a group of Christians who protested an IMAX theater because they were showing a movie about volcanos that pretty much pre-supposed evolution as the theory of how this planet came to be. I called their protest "an anemic use of the Bill of Rights."

Several people at church pulled me aside to tell me that this protest was "successful" (?) as the IMAX theaters were now pulling this movie from their screens. They seemed pleased that Christians kept this movie from evil societal influence.

Well, I hate to say I told you so...

According to the Dallas Morning News yesterday, IMAX, bowing to "overwhelming public response" will now be adding the volcano movie to their summer schedule.

Anemic.
Short-sighted.
Picked the wrong battle.

When will we ever learn?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home