Friday, January 21, 2005

Dancing Through My Heart

It was 11 years ago today that I first laid eyes on her. Sure, I'd seen sonogram images (we still have the videotape of that) and felt her move...but on January 21, 1994, in the early evening...I held her. I was thinking she'd be born closer to my birthday, but it was a very pleasant surprise.

I had a job interview that next day in North Carolina. Tracy wanted me to go as there was plenty of family around to help out and take care of her and Shelby. I didn't get the job, but for some reason they took me house-hunting before we left...so at one point I thought they were going to give me the job...they thought so, too.

Anyway, ever since she came into my life, she brought hugs and snuggles. She brought dancing (even to Pearl Jam's song "Go" which she knew how to ask for and often did at age 2) and the arts and flair and an offbeat sense of humor and early morning coffee talks, in short, she brought STAGE PRESENCE to my every day life.

Shelby, happy 11th birthday, my dear. When the standing ovations come because of your stage presence, know that no one will be standing prouder or cheering louder or with a bigger bouquet of flowers than your dad. I'm your biggest fan. I love you!

I always have. Ever since January 21, 1994...give or take 9 months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home