Wednesday, January 05, 2005

A Couple of Random Thoughts

First, lately, I've been reading a lot of insights into the creative process...everything from Anne Lamott to Stephen King to Kurt Cobain to Kurt Vonnegut. Seems to me that great art is really about moving from "general" to "specific." What I'm getting at is that what happens in great art is that there is an idea, a lot of energy in creative expression of that idea, and finally...

...most importantly...the editing (or refining) of the initial idea. Which can actually take much longer than the creativity itself. So, I'm thinking that great art is really the result of meticulous editing/refinement. I don't know why, but I'd always viewed it the other way around...that you edit and refine and then go for the creativity.

Secondly, no matter how much I try, or where I go, I cannot escape hearing about Will Farrell or Jennifer Garner every day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home