Sunday, December 26, 2004

Christmas Review

A nice, relaxing Christmas at my home...daughters excitedly up at 6:20AM ready for action. Got too much. Ate too much. Didn't nap enough. Will fix that today as the anemic Cowboys offense should do the trick. Anyway, my annual gift review:

Gift that caused the most commotion: My daughter Kelsey got a cell phone that takes pictures. Teenage girl. Cell phone that needed to be loaded with numbers and pictures and ring tones and all that jazz. The phone hasn't left her hand today.

Gift that couldn't miss: The girls and I combined financial resources and loaded Tracy down with a nice treatment at a spa. Massage, facial & manicure. Slam dunk.

Gift guaranteed to last the longest: My sister gave Tracy and I a corkscrew that will open a wine bottle in 3 seconds. It's good for 20,000 pulls. So, lemme see. If we drank a bottle a month, it'd last 60 years.

Gift that shows my family knows me: They gave me a hammock with it's very own stand. They even loaded it down with a special cover and pillow that velcros in place.

Gift we could've seen coming a mile away: Our entire family was loaded down with SEC Championship gear from our beloved Auburn Tigers. Shirts & hats.

Gift we couldn't have seen coming a mile away: Our "entire" family included Lloyd the dog. He got a hooded sweatshirt with an Auburn logo on it...and he loved it.

Gift that brought childhood to the next level: When I was a kid, we would play a game called paper football at lunch or during study hall or whenever we were bored. All you'd need was a table and a piece of paper. You fold the paper over several times into a tightly knit triangle and play football by trying to get a portion of the triangle to hang over the edge of the table without falling off to score touchdowns. Well, I got a leather triangle football (with grains like a real football) with the Auburn logo on it...and it came with uprights so you don't have to use your fingers. Nice. It competed with last year's ping-pong ball basketball game, which sits in my office. Football will, too.

Gifts with the best shot for self-expression: Kelsey got canvases in various sizes for painting, and Shelby got hip-hop dancing shoes...which look like regular athletic shoes but have no rubber sole over the arch.

Gift that got combined the quickest: Shelby put on a shirt that says, "Caution: Ballet shoes needed beyond this pointe," (get it? hahaha) fired up the CD player with Shania Twain's Greatest Hits and danced around to "Man, You Make Me Feel Like A Woman." I'm not sure how I feel about that combination yet.

Gift O' Irony: Let's see, the Incarnation of God is the reason for the celebration, and my higher-order life-liver sister Jilly got me a 3-CD set of Nirvana rare tracks and demo tapes (with a DVD of their home videos of early performances of "greatest hits" included) as well as a copy of Kurt Cobain's "Journals." I sat in my hammock and enjoyed them both. Ironic.

Gift that has yet to be taken off: Kelsey got a replica of Texas Ranger Hank Blalock's jersey. It was put on around 7AM and is still going strong. 2nd place is Shelby's ballet shirt mentioned earlier. It went on at 7:05AM.

Gift with the most pracicality: My mom loaded us down with socks. But they're all high quality socks...you know, with thick heels and toes. Everybody got underwear, too.

As you can see, it was a very Merry Christmas in our house...and if you think you can take me in "paper" football (or even last year's ping-pong basketball--of which I'm still undefeated)...

...bring it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home