Tuesday, December 14, 2004

An "Ordinary" Day

It was a very ordinary day in the life of a youth pastor. Sure, it was my day off, but it was very ordinary. There was blogging. There was napping. There was reading. There were chores, namely, mowing the yard (Texas, ugh, grass is still growing on Dec. 12) and replacing all burned out light bulbs on Christmas lights. I did a bit of kid shuttling to dance and to extracurricular events.

Another "ordinary" event happened, too. See, in my world, teenagers just come into my house if our flag is up. They don't knock. They just come in. It's a habit we started some 16 years ago and never stopped.

Yesterday, Kristen popped in with offspring Judah in tow. She was here to borrow some lights from my incredibly gifted photographer wife as she, too, is doing some photography. I didn't disciple Kristen at all, but she married someone I did and got into the habit of just coming in. She's always been good at being who she is, and it's always cool seeing her be good at who she is while who she is is currently being reshaped by wifery and motherhood. It was very encouraging for me to see that.

Then, last night, Meredith popped in with Jordan. Jordan is one of my current students and Meredith is her best friend who graduated last year. Meredith is back from her first semester of taking a year to study God's Word at Capernwray Bible School in England. Needless to say, it was incredible to hear what God is doing in her life at the moment, and she tried desperately to describe it, but I think I was asking her to describe something you just can't describe no matter how hard you try. Think about it...try to describe the most intimate things God is doing in your life and how He is doing it. But she did so well enough to cause me to somewhat envy the opportunity. A year. In a rural environment in England with no TV. Studying the Bible from gifted teachers. Focusing on what God wants to do with us. Manalive.

So, evidences of God at work in hearts and lives of people who will likely do more for The Kingdom than I ever will strolls into my living room. Twice in one day.

And, in my world, that's ordinary.

I have the greatest of all jobs.

And the greatest of all lives.

I lead a charmed life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home