Monday, December 13, 2004

Finding Brilliance In Unlikely Places

Last night after teaching 4 times at church in various ways and having one counseling session I was emotionally and spiritually drained. So, I turned on the telly and scanned for some mindless entertainment...frankly, I was hoping for the improvisational comedy of Whose Line Is It, Anyway?

Wasn't on, but since I was already in the high channels on my cable service I hit Comedy Central, who was doing a review of the year 2004.

PERFECT!

B-list comedians and comediennes skewering various pop-culture icons such as Paris Hilton, Ashlee Simpson, Janet Jackson, Avril Lavigne, and mocking moments such as the election, sports events and wardrobe malfunctions.

The show combined all the elements of mindlessness. Of course, since I mentioned the Hilton and Simpson sisters, you already knew that.

Anyway, Colin Quinn (speaking of, b-list comedian, and that's being generous) comes out to do his monologue.

He did it in a "beat poet/slam poet" style, if you're familiar with that brand of art...and it was truly brilliant as art.

I don't know if he was trying for funny, but he hit "intelligent" and "ironic" which was humorous, but truly brilliantly insightful into our culture. For example, he was talking about Halliburton and the phrase I remember was "It was a year of power. A year of hate. I might be crooked, but my tie's on straight." There were comments on young people trying to influence the election wearing Che Guevara shirts but they were too busy watching Viva La Bam to vote. Insights like that.

His segment was about 4 minutes long, and the show was on Comedy Central. Last Laugh 2004 was the title. Most of the show is throwaway, but if you can find a clip or a tape of Colin Quinn's segment, you'll laugh as well as be made uncomfortable with his insight into general American Culture. PG-13 warning, too, kids. Some of it is off color.

If I can find a transcript of it (I looked on the web all morning and couldn't find it yet), I'll post it ASAP. But if you've got TiVo or they're going to replay it, make sure to watch that part. You won't regret it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home