Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Feeling Like Eustace

If you've never read C.S. Lewis' famous series "The Chronicles of Narnia", you're really missing out on some classic reading. Anyway, I'm currently reading through book 5 entitled "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" with Shelby and there was a section two nights ago that describes my walk with Christ perfectly at the moment.

A bit of background: Eustace, a grumpy boy, was lured and enticed by his own desires into a trap, and the end result involved him turning into a dragon. There was only one cure...and he's now telling his friend about the experience of becoming truly human:

"Well, exactly the same thing happened again. And I thought to myself, oh dear, how ever many skins have I got to take off? For I was longing to bathe my leg. So I scratched away for the third time and got off a third skin, just like the two others and stepped out of it. But as soon as I looked at myself in the water I knew it had been no good.

The Lion said--but I don't know if it spoke--'You will have to let me undress you.' I was afraid of his claws, I can tell you, but I was pretty nearly desperate now. So I just lay flat down on my back and let him do it.

The very first tear he made was so deep that I thought it had gone right into my heart. And when he began pulling the skin off, it hurt worse than anything I've ever felt. The only thing that made me able to bear it was just the pleasure of feeling the stuff peel off...

...Well, he peeled the beastly stuff right off--just as I thought I'd done it myself the other three times, only they hadn't hurt--and there it was lying in the grass: only ever so much thicker, darker and more knobbly looking than the others had been. And there I was as smooth and soft as a peeled switch and smaller than I had been.

Then he caught hold of me..."

Tough day yesterday. The skin I tried to peel off didn't work. The skin He peeled off is off. I'm smaller. I've seen Aslan...and He caught hold of me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home