Wednesday, September 29, 2004

A Modern Day Manhattan Project

Oil hits $50 bucks a barrel today. I'm not an economist, but according to the media, this means that you and I will start paying $2 per gallon for gasoline. We'll wail and moan and fill up our cars and drive.

Well, late in WWII, the alleged "Greatest Generation" formed something called the Manhattan Project in which huge allotments of time, money and manpower were focused on building an atomic bomb. Mission accomplished. WWII ended.

Kennedy did the same thing with the "space race" in the late '60's. The Soviets get an early jump, we get serious about the time/money/manpower thing, the next thing you know, Neil Armstrong is planting a flag and we get to drink Tang and use Velcro.

Open suggestion to anyone who has the power to make things happen: Why not do the same thing with solar power, wind power, nuclear power, public transportation and every other thing that would eliminate our dependence on oil.

I can't tell you how fast I'd sell my cars and change my lifestyle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home