Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Homerisms

I think that an entire blog could be done if you only used quotes from Homer Simpson so I generally try to stay away from doing that. However, I had a moment today that Homer's grandfather, Abraham, expressed perfectly.

See, we were trying to come up with ideas for video clips to use in our introductory video for our Sunday School class. You know, a series of funny snippets from movies or TV shows strung together in rapid fasion just to set the tone and the mood and let everybody know they need to get moving to their seats. We had one, but never changed it, and now it's time for a new one.

I was suggesting scenes with one-liners from Animal House, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Beavis and Butt-head ("Ummm, uh huh huh uh...we're ready for love."), and Say Anything. I'm not contemporary enough...because my pop culture references were a bit too dated.

My younger, hipper staff was looking more for scenes from Ashton Kutcher's work in Punk'd, or from Johnny Knoxville, or the OC, or Garden State or Napoleon Dynamite or Teen Girl Squad. They're right. At least I know about most of those things, and could even quote the Napoleon Dynamite stuff, but they had specific scenes and quotes they wanted to use from those realms of pop culture.

I realized pretty quickly that my refrences were dating me so I let them talk about clips some more. I'm not really "with it."

So, I felt like Abraham Simpson when Homer accused him of "not being with it."

Abraham responded, "Yeah, well, I used to be with it. And now what I'm with isn't it. And what is it seem strange and scary to me."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home