Tuesday, December 09, 2003

Provocative Insight:

I'm reading a book about teenagers that one of my co-workers thought was something I'd enjoy...and while it doesn't tell me anything I didn't already see every day, it is certainly something I could give a layman who wanted to know about this generation of teens (and generations of teens change every three or four years, anyway).

At any rate, the author (Ryan Dobson, son of Focus on the Family's James) proffers some insight as to the popularity of computer surfing, instant messaging and video games among teens:

"I think people plunge into this kind of life because it keeps them distracted...They're probably doing it because they're afraid of what they'll feel if they stop." He later quotes a movie line that extreme behavior happens when these teens try to "punctuate the dreariness."

I'm not so sure that he's correct on the feelings aspect, but in my observation we have a generation of very poor thinkers. There's an intellectual laziness that allows them to make decisions based on how they feel about an issue rather than on rational thought.

And I do see that teenagers don't like dealing with the normal thoughts that simply pop into their heads during any given day. And there's no question that the computer has become this generation's television opiate. They don't like to be alone with their thoughts.

For example, when I tell my teenagers how far I run they ask me what I listen to while I'm doing it. When I tell them that I use that time to think, they all say, "There's no way I could do that!"

Well, I firmly believe that emotions follow thoughts, and if we have a generation who doesn't like to think and simply escapes their way through life, then we'll have a nation of people who are quietly desperate.

And life is supposed to be more abundant. Of that, I am sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home