Sunday, December 07, 2003

Recorder Concert Review:

My daughter Shelby belongs to an ensemble of recorder players at her school who call themselves the Prairie Trail Elementary Stars. Well, the Stars have a couple of performances each year and one of the major ones is the Holiday Stroll in "downtown" Flower Mound...which took place yesterday.

Anyway, the atmosphere of the show was great: Live nativity (complete with camels) and a dude who made popcorn in this large kettle, stirring it with a boat oar as well as various holiday-type goings on (re: retail shopping). And, 50 degree weather...which I think is perfect.

Their holiday show was peppered with some Jewish songs about a menorah and some generic songs about letting it snow, and some songs about Christmas but the one I liked most was a Kwanzaa song. I didn't even hear of Kwanzaa until I became an (relatively speaking) adult and come to find out their are actually songs for it. The song didn't really fill me in on what Kwanzaa is really all about but it did have the word Kwanzaa in it a lot, so there must be something to it.

I mean, I have a layman's knowledge of what Hannukah is all about. But I think I need to read more books or something, because I truly have no idea of what makes Kwanzaa songworthy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home