Wednesday, October 01, 2003

I'm back from Phoenix (where, just so you know, I'm now part owner of their civic-owned ballpark due to a 44% tax on rental cars...I guess that's my penance for not paying to get in the other night)...

As always, my anti-baby-boomer sentiment antennae popped up when I read this quote from Renee Schaeffer Horton's column today regarding the behavior of children:

"I hate to condemn my entire generation, but I hardly can hold myself back. If ever there was a group of my-kid-can-do-no-wrong people, it is baby boomers. Sadly, the generation on our heels isn't much better...Disrespectful, self-centered children aren't "a kid problem." This, dear Watson, is a parent problem. Kids grow up reflecting what they learned. Loutish parents who believe Copernicus told them they are the center of the universe raise children who believe they, too, defy the laws of physics and don't need manners...They want life their way, in their time, with no screw-ups. What do you mean you forgot the whipped cream on my no-fat, extra-hot, decaf mocha? Let me throw a tantrum right here, and no tip for you, Little Missy."

I have little problem condemning the baby-boomers. And, the way they turned out, creating a cornucopia of problems for our generation to clean up only makes me laugh when I hear Tom Brokaw refer to their parents as "The Greatest Generation." In my estimation, that moniker belongs to the pierced and tatooed in our society who see reality through Bible-shaped filters with have no case of "good-old-days syndrome." I guess maybe that's why I love working with them so much...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home