Sunday, September 28, 2003

Observations from today still in and around the Youth Specialties Youthworker Convention in Phoenix:

Sedona is a better place to see the beauty of creation and truly experience God than a convention hall. Sedona makes me go (in the words of Louis Giglio, tonight's speaker), "WHOA!" Conference halls and seminars make me go, "Hmmmm." We all need more "WHOA" in our lives.

If you sit in a convertible long enough it is possible to get sunburned on only one arm and half your face.

My wife looks great these days. She's always been long on the qualities that last...but, at present, the words in Proverbs about beauty fading seem distant when applied to her. We should take more trips alone. We got off to such a poor start (couldn't afford a honeymoon) and then life happened and now it's habit to neglect is time with just us.

The Rock and Roll Worship Circus is a highly underrated band in Christian circles, both musically and spiritually. It's annoying to watch youth workers walk out when a band no one has ever heard of shows up after the speaker. Third Day was in The R&RWC's place about 8 years ago and now YP's will stay after that night's session ends to buy their shirts and trinkets. I'm amused to no end about how open-minded we're supposed to be but if the music don't fit our box, we're out.

Speaking of worship, I'm a layman...but I can tell when a band is doing a concert instead of leading worship. I don't know where that line is, but I definitely know when it's been crossed.

Well, all for now. Suffice to say that tomorrow will hold stories of Lost and Found and CPR. I absolutely cannot wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home