Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Medium Is The Message

*what follows is a continuation of the discussion here at the Diner on my reading "The Shaping of Things to Come: Innovation and Mission for the 21st-Century Church," by Michael Frost & Alan Hirsch. Feel free to check out the past four entries before you dive in to this one. It'll give you some context.

I fell in love with the Ramones because of an album cover. This album cover:


Now you have to have some context here, kids. This was the mid-70's and the music that was being put out there was over-the-top with stage shows and theatrics and all the bells and whistles. Think Elton John. Think Kiss. Think anything and everything about disco with lights and smoke and lighted floors. You get the idea, right?

Well, for a kid who didn't "get" any of that (although I have to admit being 13 and seeing a Kiss show is pretty incredible, but you outgrew that pretty quickly), the Ramones spoke volumes.

Put on your normal clothes.
Turn the amps up.
Play the best you can.
Play fast.
Let the music BE the message.

And it was. A simple album cover (unlike Molly Hatchet or Iron Maiden or Electric Light Orchestra). A simple stage show. A sheet with the band logo draped behind the band, stacked Marshall amps, drummer & 2 guitarists and lead singer, and GO!

The music was the message.

And that's the theme of the latest chapter I read as the authors are moving into how the church should look differently heading into the new millennium...which naturally means they have to take a look at where the current church is and how effective we're being...and they do so by looking at four general areas, the sermons we give, the buildings we use, the seminaries the train our leaders in and the leaders we have.


First, On "the sermon":
"As a result of this appetite for hyper-reality, the era of the monologue sermon that can have an impact is coming to an abrupt and sad end...We're not signaling the end of the spoken word ot communicate, but preachers will need to have a long hard look at how they speak if they expect to be heard. Except for the preaching of outstanding communicators, sermons have little or no impact."

Side note: Not a lot of encouragement for a guy giving a sermon tomorrow, eh? Their solution is that sermons should be designed to be more interactive with maybe even throwing some Q&A into them. Stuff like that.

On "the building":
"Christianity was at its most effective and most true to its nature as the poeple of God when it did not own any buildings...(our building designs make) the vast majority of people were passive consumers. The few active people were the ones on the stage presented in a highly professional manner. The church looks like it was designed for the presentation of a show of some sort. The building exuded wealth, success, and professionalism. All the needs of the consumer were catered to. But what does the building say to the average not-yet-Christian about the Gospel?"

Their solution is along the lines of using the building to invite the community and making the atmospheres less-"churchy" and welcoming to people not accustomed to our evangelical culture.

On "the seminary":
"It's worth asking about the ways Jesus developed disciples during his ministry and then considering to what degree the theological academy has mirrored this."

Their solution is to make seminary more hands-on and more life-on-life with professors/leaders, etc.

"...we need to recognize that authentic community can only be founded on changed relations between people; and these changed relations can only follow the inner change and preparation of the people who lead, work, and sacrifice for the community. In other words, it must begin with leadership. We must embody our visions and values in such a way that people can 'see' the vision in and through our existence. It will take sacrifice on the part of the leader. It must, especially if he or she is asking for sacrifice! We simply don't believe that people in the 'crap-detector' generation, savvy people who understand what it means to be constantly targeted by hundreds of thousands of clever sales messages, are going to follow other people who don't live out their messages. If leadership fails to embody the message, no one is going to follow. Leaders, you cannot lead where you will not go; you cannot teach what you do not know."

What do the current church leaders as a medium convey to others about our message? Oh, manalive, could you offer a lot of insight here...

So kids, a lot of things to think about today...

How are we doing when it comes to our "mediums" being our "message?"

What messages are we sending by our...
...sermons?
...buildings?
...seminary training?
and our leaders--who they are and how they lead?

Oh, man. This should be good.

*rubs hands together, pours coffee & waits for patrons to come in and offer their two-cents.

5 Comments:

Blogger Robyn Rochelle E. said...

Maybe I am just a simple missionary. I live in a foreign country. I have learned their foreign language (even though I have more to learn) so that we can talk about either the cost of bread rising, or deep heart concerns. I am involved with many organized groups that have nothing to do with Christianity and in loving them they have begun to come to me and talk about deep stuff or ask me if I would pray for them - the greatest is when they ask if I would pray WITH them!!!! I go to church and bible study regularly. I invite them into the organized small church that I am a part of. But I live my life out in front of them. I have had several become interested and accept Christ both through my living out my life and them becoming interested in why I live my life the way I do and coming to church.
Here is where I don't agree with some things. I am not referring to 'the body of Christ at large' our own moment by moment infiltration of Him in our lives!!! The Beauty of that I could speak on for hours. But the organized Church that has morphed in all sorts of ways over the centuries.
I think that we have lost the wonderful reality of our purpose for a gathering of Church. I think maybe we don't separate it enough. I don't go to a church building to be missional. I invite non-believers in to observe. There is no way they can participate!!!! I go to a church to be in the presence of God WITH other people that desire to drop everything at a certain time during their week to join with a body of believers and WORSHIP GOD. I don't do this for others. I do this to be feed. And that means not just feed by the sermon, but by the fragrance of a body of believers holding their faces up to the God MOST HIGH and singing praises, praying openly and boldly, laughing, crying, being! Those that I have invited in to observe see a difference in those that attend regularly on a daily basis in the world!!!!! They know the baker has changed her attitudes. They know the baseball player goes to the coffee shop and reads the bible on his lunch hour.
The things I do every other day of my life is for others. I am a child of God and I love those who are not and those who are. The distinction of church meeting is for believers. To me the churches have forgotten that Church Meeting is for the believer to WORSHIP GOD. Growing in Christ is in the living moment by moment as salt and light in a bland and dark world. I guess my big question is... are we really worshiping God when we go to church on Sunday morning - I find I cannot do anything but share Him when I have worshiped Him. I want to do it with believers - that is a freedom we take for granted. I want to worship Him in private, daily, moment by moment, with others - that is living missionally. That can be done no matter where I am!
Like I said, I'm just a simple missionary. Forgive me for not agreeing with the either/or but instead the both/and. Kind of like God is both love and justice.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Robyn Rochelle E. said...

Sorry adding on to my other comment - I guess what I am trying to say is Sabbath is to be for believers to set aside worshiping God and resting our bodies. Could it be that our eyes need to be giving praise and worship and not expecting something to be given to us?????
Every other day of the week is for living out in the world missionally, both personally and in the world.
from a simple missionary
robyn rochelle eubanks

9:51 AM  
Blogger Schweers' Mom said...

Ditto what Robyn said - though I am not a missionary as she is.

Maybe that's why I said in a prior comment that for some (or even many), the organized church still works and is very much a part of the lives of many believers. Thankfully, there are many choices for us to find the right place for gathering together to worship in a way we best get fed or feel most comfortable.

It's just not an all or nothing proposition to me. I see how the church doesn't work sometimes, but yet I see how it does work.

I love gathering with others who want to worship in song, prayer and study together, but I long to also be part of mimosas and soccer, too. Both are equally valid.

Thanks, Robyn.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Brent said...

Robyn, I don't think at any point what they were saying said that the church service should be "missional." In fact, I think the way you described a church service would be something the authors agreed with.

The point here is the way we do church (building/sermon) and the way we train/develop leaders sends a message to both believers and outsiders...

...so the question still remains, what message are we sending by those things?

5:46 PM  
Anonymous trsavage said...

I'm a little late to this party, but it's an important question if only that by engaging it we challenge ourselves to see the outside perspective.

The sermon says this stuff is all a little too complicated or time consuming for your efforts but that's why you pay me to break it down into digestible bites for you.

The church building often says this is where you come to be fed or consume and we will strive to cater to all you needs. The design alone speaks of performance, entertainment, and passive receptivity.

Some seminaries say you may have to go into debit to learn to be a professional Christian but there is no higher calling, theological systems are more important than learning to interpret and apply the bible in everyday situations, and being able to sign off on the doctoral statement is more important than discipleship.

The medium of the modern pastor says don't worry the paid professionals will handle this, pay your dues and you'll be "fed."

The problem is not that the church service isn't nice or encouraging for some (the minority) people. The problem is that it's working against what we're supposed to be about as followers of Christ, namely making disciples and experimenting with radical pictures of the Kingdom of God.

The truth is we send these and other messages all the time, that are besides the point at best and at worst blatantly contradictory, and they've opened up a huge cultural gap between the religion of Christianity and, well, nearly everyone else. It's time to reevaluate.

2:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home