Wednesday, June 08, 2011

They're Not Coming. Really. They're not.

I grew up in the Episcopal Church. Confirmation classes. Stained glass. Kneelers. Pot-luck lunches EVERY Sunday. Communion EVERY Sunday down front from a common cup. Hymns played on an organ. Responding to all the priests phrases. The whole bit.

Oh, and something else: I grew up in the Episcopal Church in Alabama.

That 2nd part is important, so a little latitude, your honor, please?

After the death of my dad when I was 13, church-going became one of my family's lowest priorities. My mom had to go back to school and got a full-time job teaching to support us...and it became difficult for her to make the half-hour drive to our Episcopal church, stick around until 2PM Sunday (the pot-luck lunch isn't going to eat or clean up after itself, now is it?) with weekly fatigue and throw in a little grad-school homework on Sunday afternoon and sleeping in quickly became a habit.

Throw in a little angsty 13-year-old with an inward seething anger about "God's plan" and "dad being in a better place," and, well, let's just say the surviving McKinney's drifted a bit when it came to church attendance.

But I didn't realize until I came back to church about 3 years later that so much of what I thought was normal was, in the words of the E-Trade Baby, "frowned upon in this establishment." It helps if you throw your head back and say that to the ceiling, complete with the pause between "upon" and "in."

Anyway, we Episcopals had been hauling off and having a lot of fun amidst our spiritual conversations. For example, we had a dance at our all-Episcopal summer camp (Wonderful, wonderful, CAMP McDOWELL, beeyutiful queen of Clear Creek, clap clap) in the gym almost every night. Our counselors asked us if we'd kissed a girl behind chapel with a genuine hopeful curiosity because 11-year-old guys looking for that first kiss viewed that as a distinct possibility. Our priest came up to visit and had a beer with the camp leader in plain view of everybody. We played all sorts of Eagles and Steve Miller and some song about Black Betty bam-a-lam during the air guitar talent-show. We didn't give life a second thought.

Until...

I came back into Evangelical circles when I was 16.

The local SBC didn't have a dance scheduled at any point during the lock-in. Which lock-in? Any lock-in. If you had any affections at all for the feminine of the species, you were "discipled" to stare at her eyes and look at her brain. Kissing, apparently, was the gateway to pregnancy. You might not want to hold hands with her as a preventative measure as well.

Beer? Forget about it.

And, for a kid who loved music, well, let's just say Keith Green couldn't hold a candle to AC/DC (and don't even get me started on the Ramones or the Clash). I'd never had one of those "want to get away moments"until I asked my youth group if they'd heard the great new Ozzy Osbourne album and that really cool solo during "Crazy Train." This was followed by my youth pastor's diatribe on how Chicago's own Resurrection Band was better than Ozzy or AC/DC. He gave me a cassette for my car. After 30 seconds of listening, I concluded that even Bob didn't believe the speech he just gave...but he was required by parents to give it.

See, growing up in the Bible Belt had some very strange cultural no-no's.

Which, oh by the way, didn't seem to have much basis in Scripture. I was a kid reading my Bible for the first time and coming to small groups to discuss it for the first time and I was really trying to grow in my relationship with Christ and I wasn't scared to ask questions.

Like, "where is that in the Bible?" The Bible-church raised kids in my group couldn't believe the mores were being questioned. I, on the other hand, just wanted to know. Because I was serious, man. If Jesus didn't want me to kiss my girlfriend, then I wouldn't kiss my girlfriend. Or at least I'd keep kissing her but tell my friends we were "trying to honor God so we stopped kissing." Thankfully, all my group leader came up with was verses about "wisdom" so I wisely kept kissing her. Apparently, there was no "Thou shalt not kiss" verse afoot.

That's when I first started to dislike Christians.

And, it turns out, most of my negative experiences with Church have come from legalism or some variant of it. When Christians speak boldly and with some level of God-authority about something that Scripture doesn't. And they did that a lot.

But most everyone who has ever been to church leaves because of SOME REASON. Legalism was mine. But everyone has their reasons--ranging from "we're exhausted" to "my priest molested me" and everything in between.

Which is why the "Mommies and Mimosa/Soccer Sunday" crowd (see yesterday's entry) isn't coming to church...or even care if they ever come back. No matter how great our stuff is...

...the Church has lost their credibility among the non-Christian community.

Sure, they used to have it some 50 years ago. Everyone went to church, right? Or at least they went at Easter and Christmas and the whole bit.

No longer.

Finding a church doesn't have the priority-level it used to (and for my older readers, please don't bother to try to disprove this. The countless hours I've had in discussion with people who grew up with the attractional model--see yesterday--about how if we just had this or that, young people would come back to church...well, the stats are in. You can disagree if you want, but these numbers don't lie).

So, if the Mommies and Mimosa group isn't ever coming to our bigger, better deal (but other Christians shuffle the deck in their own city and we call it "church growth" so we keep doing it)...

...shouldn't we view them as an unreached people group and take the church missionally to them?

I used the phrase yesterday about a "faith community centered around Christ" for a reason.

Some more quotes from the book before I wind up:
"We so easily impose a cultural form on the people and the groups we hope to reach with the love of Jesus. We often make the gospel synonymous with a bland middle-class conformity and thereby alienate countless people from encountering Christ. How often have we seen public opinion polls that reflect the attitude of 'Jesus YES! Church NO!'"

And...
"Jesus moved into the neighborhood; he experienced its life, its rhythms, and its people from the inside and not as an outsider. It is sobering to think that for thirty years Jesus practiced this presence for 30 years before he actually started his ministry. Nazareth had indeed become a living part of him and defined him in so many unaccountable ways. If this was so for Jesus, then, we believe, we, too, need to practice the missinoal discipline of presence ad identification with any of the groups and people we hope to engage with. This is true whether they are local ravers or members of bohemian art cooperatives, sports clubs, common interest groups, or parent groups--we need to identify a whole lot more before we can expect to really share Jesus in a meaningful way with them."

So, as we continue our conversation...

...let's assume that non-Christians ARE NOT looking for a better church or service or whatever and aren't going to come because the local church is having a concert so "bring a friend!" Or they aren't coming because your church is going to have a series on marriage and family so "pack the pews!" They don't. They aren't.

...pick a group. Doesn't matter. Starving artists. Single moms. PTA group. The local university booster club that gets together to watch games. Your literal neighbors. And, if you can't think of people you know that don't know Christ, maybe there's another step you need to be thinking about.

...and how could you reach them for Christ if they never came to your church. What would you do?

See?

That's the question.

Because they aren't coming to your church no matter how comfy and/or flashy. They all have their reasons, too. Just like we did, and WE'RE Christians, for crying out loud! They're not...

So, what do you do?

And, yes, we'll continue the discussion...

9 Comments:

Anonymous kris said...

"...the Church has lost their credibility among the non-Christian community." ~~~
there's hitting the proverbial nail on the head!

ok, so it occurred to me yesterday after my long rambling whining that what you were really looking for was a "how" and not a "why". Although it's important to look at the whys to help us figure out the hows.

I guess I'll hit the group that hits home for me....single moms. Churches (atleast not in our area) either completely ignore us or just have no idea what to do with us. I have my suspicions of why that is, but I won't go into that. How do you reach single moms? Stop trying to fit them in a box they don't fit in. Understand that Sunday morning may indeed be their only resting time and sometimes the thought of getting up early and putting on your best face just to see people that you find you really don't have any community with is well, kinda harsh. ...and understand that we feel like heathens for even feeling that way.
offer programs that reach out to their real earthly needs like helping them do some of the things they just can't accomplish on their own whether it's due to time or money (repairs and maintenance - house and car, etc.) mom's night out, idk that's just a few things that come to mind. Because I don't think it's so much about teaching us to love Jesus as much as it is showing us Jesus' love in this world. And believe me, we're going to be reluctant to ask for these things because hey, we're mom's after all and we're used to doing what we need to. But even SuperMom can't do everything. And, we certainly don't need to be reminded of how woefully short we fall - we already beat ourselves up about that.

I suspect the mommies & mimosas crowd gets it....

thanks, Brent ~ this has given me a lot to think about.

7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, so I left a comment on the other post realizing I was thinking how to get them to church which was not the question. My quick answer this morning - again, without giving it a lot of thought yet is pretty much the same as yesterday: love, quit judging, admit struggles, be real. If we do those things and still display that we are experiencing security/joy/peace (not happiness, etc) even in the midst of difficulties then people notice. People begin to participate in discussions about God. People allow you to pray with them in their driveway for something they are going through. I know this because this is how my husband lives life on our street. I'd like to say I do, but I can't say that I am as good at being "out there" as him. Is this a "faith based community"? Hmm, not really. Is there a crack in the door? Absolutely. Michelle B

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Susanne said...

I agree with Michelle. I think it's about being real and showing love out in the real world. It's about being a friend without judgement. My circle of close friends is not at church; it's "out there" in the real world, and the discussions about God, faith, grace just happen naturally. Often over a bottle of wine, or in the parking lot after yoga, but they're happening.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Kelsey McKinney said...

People, especially young people, don't want a church anymore. They (we?) aren't particularly fond of the formula, the preaching, the proximity to strangers. Honestly, as a believer, if a friend invited me to church with them, I would probably scramble for an excuse not to go. Church is no longer appealing. Does this mean we should shut churches down entirely? No, absolutely not. Does it mean we need to evaluate what exactly our church is and how we are ministering to a certain group of people? Absolutely.
If the goal of every Christian is to help more people come to Christ, then our standup-sitdown formula is broken. Paul speaks about being broken over the reality that he cannot trade his salvation for that of his friends. He wants them to believe, but he can't force them.
I think the really important part of his desire is that he is friends with those people. Missions is not me flying to Turkey to hand out pamphlets about Jesus and force people into a crappy service I have set up. Can the Lord use it? Yes. Is it ideal? god, no.
"We need to be communities of love. And we need desperately to be SEEN as communities of love. People need to encounter the church as a network of relationships rather than a meeting you attend or a place you enter. Mission must involve not only contact between unbelievers and individual Christians, but between unbelievers and the Christian community.We want to build relationships with unbelievers. But we also need to introduce people to the network of relationships that make up that believing community so they can see Christian community in action." -total Church. pg. 59.
Too much evangelism is an attempt to answer a slew of questions that, quite honestly, aren't being asked.
Where am I going when I die? What is my purpose in the greater whole?
There are very few 20 year olds asking this question. Maybe even very few 40 year olds.

We don't need them to come to our churches. Our churches are turning them away. We need to have communitites that are built around Christ that are all living in community and working toward the salvation of a particular group. When I say working, I do not mean lazily throwing around prayer requests. I mean forceful prayer, scripture and strategy in regards to the gospel. We need to be their friends. Not their gospel proclaimers. Because only as their friends will we really care about their salvation.

10:14 AM  
Anonymous kris said...

kelsey...how did you get so smart? ;)

1:26 PM  
Blogger Larry Burns, Jr. said...

Man, I say, do it like Christ did! He spoke in the "churches," he spoke in the streets, he hung out with the religious, and he hung out with those who weren't, those who were respected and those who were despised.

Spend some time in all the arenas, don't market Christ, let Christ be revealed through your true love, not love for display. That generates an interest, on occasion, and opportunities to share, not shove, the Gospel, because of your life experience, not because you have to.

Nice question, Brent, great responses.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Schweers' Mom said...

Larry, I'm with you. Love your answer. Definitely how Christ did it.

And Kelsey, not everyone who goes in the mission field hands out pamphlets for church services. I know plenty of missionaries who are there assimilating into the culture and loving those around them in lasting and very real relationships that are all about showing Christ's love.

We do still need each other in the formal "church" (for lack of better things to call it). There is a reason we are encouraged not to forsake gathering together. We need encouragement with other folks who share our beliefs. But it somehow needs to be balanced with being salt and light. And interestingly, I know plenty of senior groups in a couple of cities/churches doing that better than some younger members.

Just my opinion and observations. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater...not yet.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Schweers' Mom said...

And I mentioned "don't throw the baby out with the bathwater" because there are some who do still benefit from traditional church and traditional formats and like it. And somehow they still manage to be salt and light in the world. I say that because I know a lot of lovely 70-80 year olds in my mom's church who do just that. They love each other, serve each other (and others)and still like the traditional hymns and pomp and circumstance.

I do agree with much of what's been voiced (and frankly, am not very excited about being part of a church "organization" where a select few make the decisions for the whole).

Hey, give me a mimosa and a book that makes me think through the tough questions and let's have a real, honest talk anytime.

10:10 PM  
Anonymous kris said...

....but I gotta tell ya~~Even with implementing "real needs" programs, I'm still not sure they're gonna come.

I don't think any of us can argue with the "do it like Jesus did" theory....so why is that so hard to bring to fruition?

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home