Monday, June 06, 2011

A Better Graduation Message

Those of you who know me know that one of my occupational hazards is that I attend a number of graduation ceremonies to celebrate with my students. In light of this, I've been on the lookout for graduation speeches/articles from those that get away from the traditional kind of speech. Believe me, I hear enough generic rah-rah speeches per year to tune out about the first time I hear "follow your dreams" or "change the world" stuff. Anyway, there's a good article from David Brooks on May 30 in the New York Times.

I'd post a link and a few quotes to whet the appetite, but it's short enough to read the whole thing. You won't regret it.

"It's Not About You" by David Brooks

Over the past few weeks, America’s colleges have sent another class of graduates off into the world. These graduates possess something of inestimable value. Nearly every sensible middle-aged person would give away all their money to be able to go back to age 22 and begin adulthood anew.

But, especially this year, one is conscious of the many ways in which this year’s graduating class has been ill served by their elders. They enter a bad job market, the hangover from decades of excessive borrowing. They inherit a ruinous federal debt.

More important, their lives have been perversely structured. This year’s graduates are members of the most supervised generation in American history. Through their childhoods and teenage years, they have been monitored, tutored, coached and honed to an unprecedented degree.

Yet upon graduation they will enter a world that is unprecedentedly wide open and unstructured. Most of them will not quickly get married, buy a home and have kids, as previous generations did. Instead, they will confront amazingly diverse job markets, social landscapes and lifestyle niches. Most will spend a decade wandering from job to job and clique to clique, searching for a role.

No one would design a system of extreme supervision to prepare people for a decade of extreme openness. But this is exactly what has emerged in modern America. College students are raised in an environment that demands one set of navigational skills, and they are then cast out into a different environment requiring a different set of skills, which they have to figure out on their own.

Worst of all, they are sent off into this world with the whole baby-boomer theology ringing in their ears. If you sample some of the commencement addresses being broadcast on C-Span these days, you see that many graduates are told to: Follow your passion, chart your own course, march to the beat of your own drummer, follow your dreams and find yourself. This is the litany of expressive individualism, which is still the dominant note in American culture.

But, of course, this mantra misleads on nearly every front.

College grads are often sent out into the world amid rapturous talk of limitless possibilities. But this talk is of no help to the central business of adulthood, finding serious things to tie yourself down to. The successful young adult is beginning to make sacred commitments — to a spouse, a community and calling — yet mostly hears about freedom and autonomy.

Today’s graduates are also told to find their passion and then pursue their dreams. The implication is that they should find themselves first and then go off and live their quest. But, of course, very few people at age 22 or 24 can take an inward journey and come out having discovered a developed self.

Most successful young people don’t look inside and then plan a life. They look outside and find a problem, which summons their life. A relative suffers from Alzheimer’s and a young woman feels called to help cure that disease. A young man works under a miserable boss and must develop management skills so his department can function. Another young woman finds herself confronted by an opportunity she never thought of in a job category she never imagined. This wasn’t in her plans, but this is where she can make her contribution.

Most people don’t form a self and then lead a life. They are called by a problem, and the self is constructed gradually by their calling.

The graduates are also told to pursue happiness and joy. But, of course, when you read a biography of someone you admire, it’s rarely the things that made them happy that compel your admiration. It’s the things they did to court unhappiness — the things they did that were arduous and miserable, which sometimes cost them friends and aroused hatred. It’s excellence, not happiness, that we admire most.

Finally, graduates are told to be independent-minded and to express their inner spirit. But, of course, doing your job well often means suppressing yourself. As Atul Gawande mentioned during his countercultural address last week at Harvard Medical School, being a good doctor often means being part of a team, following the rules of an institution, going down a regimented checklist.

Today’s grads enter a cultural climate that preaches the self as the center of a life. But, of course, as they age, they’ll discover that the tasks of a life are at the center. Fulfillment is a byproduct of how people engage their tasks, and can’t be pursued directly. Most of us are egotistical and most are self-concerned most of the time, but it’s nonetheless true that life comes to a point only in those moments when the self dissolves into some task. The purpose in life is not to find yourself. It’s to lose yourself."


Loved the line about them being the most supervised generation in history. Your thoughts, patrons?

10 Comments:

Blogger Schweers' Mom said...

I am shocked by how much parents supervise kids' loves. Shocked. I'm sure I must be guilty on some points of over-supervision, but hopefylly my boys would tell you that the worst I've done is make them practice their instrument of choice to make the lesoons worthwhile (or they cold pay for them). Mostly that was mandatory at the beginning to get over the hump of learning something new. I generally don't have to request practicing anymore...just encouragement to practice the right thing ( as in not Kashmir on the upright bass...though it sounded pretty cool).

I sit with groups of parents who constantly worry about their high schooler not taking all AP courses. Seriously? What if advanced physics is really not your kid's bag? Why not let them try something else that they just might discover that they love instad of being discouraged by an overload of work they will spend every weekend to compkete during the semester? We recently had to decline having our son sign up for a 3 rd year of language that he hated. Why? Because the counselor was appalled that we did not think it important to graduate DAP.

And boy was he right about many adults wishing to go back to age 22 and try again. I sure do.

7:16 AM  
Anonymous kris said...

why do you suppose that this generation is so uber supervised and structured? Is it because the parents feel as though something was missing in their own childhood? (and, btw...can't we all find something to disparage?) Is it because their parents have so much more than our parents did? I see these kids having waaaaaay more opportunities than I ever did which sounds nice in theory, but are they learning anything from that? Don't get me wrong, I don't think I understood any of life's lessons until I was way out of my 20's (and frankly, I'm still learning) and I've always found it interesting that grad speeches are so full of grandiose "go out there and find yourself" advise with the implication that this must be done within the next few years (if not sooner). But the thing is, I see these over-supervised kids struggling to make decisions at school because I guess they've never really had to make a decision on their own. I know this sounds like a blanket statement, but I'm not kidding. There is a distinct difference in the kids I teach today from when I first started teaching.
I could go on and on, but I won't.
one last thought....
we live in a pretty priveleged community and although my kids may not have as many opportunities as most of their peers, they seem pretty confident to make some of their own decisions. just sayin'.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Robyn Rochelle E. said...

and of course after all of this wonderful dialogue the only thing that sticks out in my mind to comment on is: WoW... Kris used the word uber... I think I need to step away from the German language books for a while - giggle!!!!
signed - a life-long learner = here is hoping my kids are life-long-learners when they are 54!

9:02 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

From a younger (fourth grade) standpoint, it frightens me when I think about this group of kids that can't solve a problem, or more importantly work in a group, if their lives depended on it.

My classroom is riddled with declarative sentences: "My pencil broke." "I can't find my paper." "I forgot my homework." My kids learn very quickly as they are met with equally declarative sentences: "That's too bad." "I know where mine is." "I'm sorry to hear that." I offer no solutions, and for some, they can't function in that capacity. A mantra in my classroom (that I often hear repeated behind my back is: "be a problem solver.")

They can't figure out how to work in a group in which opinions and ideas exist other than their own, and in an area in which they are not praised for being mediocre. They cannot function when people are not catering to their way of doing things.

Because of both of those things, my job as their teacher has shifted from being primarily that of teaching reading, writing, math, science, and history (and of course, how to pass THE test), to being one who teaches them how to problem solve, learn from their mistakes (as well as history's lessons), and articulate their needs and wants to others.

That is also why teachers need summers off.:)

9:22 AM  
Blogger Schweers' Mom said...

Kris, I'm 49 and still haven't figured it all out yet. I would worry if someone told me that they had. Life is just too full of unknowns that we just have to take it as it comes. I honestly don't think I could be a teacher in this society. It was hard enough working at a local jewelry store and watching parents bring daughters in and say, "Oh pick out whichever 'purity' ring you want. And then when the young girl did, the mom would say, "oh no, not that one. And you're surely not going to wear it on THAT finger!" Very sad. I may not always like my kids' choices, but I do try very hard to let them make the choice. And yeah, they've fallen plenty of times. But consequences tend to be pretty good instructors.

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heard an awesome comencement speech yesterday...this senior quoted Barna that 65% of his classmates would leave the church and their faith by the end of their sophomore year of college. He called for the to find a church home in college and plug into some form of accountability within the first week of arriving.

I loved that!

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

as a teacher,If I have a student who is failing, we have administrators over us saying "find a way to make the kid successful' it's all a vicious cycle. in other words if the kid does not come to tutoring that you offer..go the gym and GET HIM AND AMKE HIM come to tutoring. if he does not get the detention signed, call home and tell them since he didn't enable enable enable. sad sad days.

9:34 PM  
Anonymous kris said...

Robyn...I have not one international bone in my body ~ I'm just repeating what my teenagers would say. Being a teenager of the 80's I believe we would have said "TOTALLY" ;)

Lori, what's wrong with Kashmir on an upright bass? I would like a front row ticket, please. :)

Jennifer, as a fellow teacher....I feel your pain and I love you! Your statements to your students made me laugh! Viva la summer! :) And, then we'll get right back at it in the fall and try to do our part to help these kids think on their own (which is decidely not that easy these days).

7:52 AM  
Blogger Schweers' Mom said...

Kris, hopefully Kashmir will get better. It's a bit akin to holding a cat by the tail now.

Jennifer...you sound like an amazing teacher...lots of love and logic. Kind of how I've parented my boys.

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Wendy said...

Rolling in here a little late, but thought I'd offer my two cents. I also liked the comment about them being the most supervised generation in history. I know I'm guilty of it, and I have to catch myself from always rescuing, and sometimes I miss. However, I think that in this day and age of technology, us parents have become too accessible. If our kids have a problem, they call us or text us. I like puzzles, brainstorming, and solving problems, so sometimes I react too quickly. Maybe I'm just happy that they still want my advice? (I loved Jennifer's responses. I need to remember those.)

I once read an article about "helicopter parents" in college. Kids call home and say, "I can't get in the class I need!" The parent then swoops in, calls the school, pulls some strings, and voila, the kid gets in the class. What happened to the kid figuring it out? What happened to the kid working with the school counselors to come up with a solution? I had to solve lots of problems in college. I don't know how I managed, but I did....I guess out of necessity.

As for AP courses, I tried to get my kids not to take them, or not to take so many. I never even had to take World History in college! So, the pressure wasn't from me, it was from the school, their peers, their teachers. Mine also want to take them, because that's where their friends are - the ones that like to learn and the ones that have decent behavior. It's their decision, and even though I dread the late nights, the tears, etc., I have to be okay with their decision, otherwise I become one of those over-supervising parents. :)

Lastly, a lot has to do with where we live. Every kid seems to be involved with sports, dance, piano, etc., or all of the above (my kids were, too). Do we fill up our kids schedules because everyone else does? Maybe if we all decided to jump off of the train at the same time, we could slow down. Nah, there would just be another train coming down the track, and sooner or later, we'd all be back on it.

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home