Monday, May 30, 2011

So, Today I'm Thinking...

...that when I drive by the new DART rail station in Highland Village, I can't decide if the parking lot is big enough or not. I mean, it might get used a TON. It might not get used at all.

...that the morning paper wasn't delivered. I clicked the new web page section for subscribers and let them know at 7:34am. The clock is running to see how fast it gets here.

...that my daughters have the most interesting friends.

...that I hope the people at my church who whine on blogs/Facebook incessantly about the President of the United States are spending AT LEAST as much time praying for him. I don't hold much hope for that, though.

...that, while I'm being politically theological, most Americans don't balance their political/theological positions on the reality that the current political state of Israel may or may not be the Israel that is mentioned in Scripture. I mean, before 1945, how would some of those passages have been interpreted?

...I'm having a hard time getting into baseball season. I haven't even been to a game yet and we're past 1/4th of the year.

...the current school district calendar goofs up summer and is really a waste of time. I mean, the kids haven't done much by way of education since the end of all the standardized testing and they are being entertained for TWO MORE WEEKS of attendance for things like movies in class and field trips to Six Flags. I think it's safe to say that classes should end and the graduations take place no later than the first week of June. Everybody's in vacation mode mentally.

...I know I'm in vacation mode right now since my old grill rusted through and I need to get a new one today.

...that I have watched the Auburn victory over Oregon for the National Championship of college football on DVD several times now, and it's like a fine wine. I think I'll appreciate it more the further removed from it I get.

...that I can't say what I really want to say in this forum. Like there's a certain local ministry that failed me recently with regard to one of my students and there's no excuse for how they handled things. But, alas, I'm much better served handling this behind the scenes. Rest assured I will, certain local ministry. Rest assured I will.

...that Frank Turner's new CD is coming out June 7 and I can't think of a release I've been looking more forward to.

...that I'm halfway to my weight loss goal I set 10 weeks ago, but I've hit that time when your body gets used to the routine and so I've hit a plateau. Just means I gotta ramp up the game, right?

...that, when I added some yogurt & the flavors I wanted to a shopping list, Kid1 said, "Dad, none of your yogurt is fruit. All of them are flavored like pies."

...that it's funny what your kids remember. For example, when my girls were younger and were having friends sleep over, I'd get chocolate donuts with sprinkles and a big box of doughnut holes and chocolate milk for breakfast. I haven't done it in years. But there were a lot of friends who found their way to our home overnight two nights ago, and the first words from Kid2 upon waking up to fending for herself for breakfast food were, "What, Dad? No donuts and chocolate milk?" I didn't know we were still doing that. Apparently we are: I fulfilled the request the next day.

...that I think I've got another week before the crowds die down and I make a run to In-N-Out Burger that just opened here in the Dallas area. I'll definitely have to buy t-shirts that have "Texas" below the logo for my family that lives in California.

...that I've been reading a lot of good books lately. I should post more quotes. Do you people still like that?

...I wonder if anyone still reads The Diner, anyway.

16 Comments:

Blogger Mike Messerli said...

yes, I want to read the quotes you find. post 'em. also, sheepishly let me ask....who is Frank Turner?

Have a great holiday, we are heading for Colorado tomorrow. hope to get some rest and do a lot of reading.

7:53 AM  
Anonymous Susanne said...

I read your blog, and I love quotes. Keep them coming!

But wait - there's actually a DART station in Highland Village? For realz?

Totally agree about the school calendar!

8:32 AM  
Anonymous kris said...

yes, I still read and yes, I want quotes!

Expecting a review on the new Frank Turner....and was contemplating myself if enough time has gone by to avoid the In and Out wait....

School is done....for ALL of us...like 2 months ago.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Natalie said...

I still read The Diner

Where is the DART station in HV?

I'm so tired of the girls watching movies in school that aren't related to the subject. I can understand if the teacher is sick and the sub puts in a movie but make it relate to the subject PLEASE! One of my kids went to a Rough Riders game for their field trip this year and the NJHS is going to the zoo for their field trip (because the museum they wanted to go to wasn't cooperating). Give them their finals and let's be done!

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Schweers' Mom said...

The DART station is off of Garden Ridge and I35. It does have a very small parking lot. And technically, it's not a DART station - it's Denton County Transportation - A Train Station. It will hook up with DART Green line at Trinity Mills station (not Frankford which is the end station for the Green line, but the NEXT stop). Just FYI from someone who is very familiar with DCTA.

Frank Turner is total greatness. Always cheers me up on a bad day. Maybe because he is just a little snarky. Of course, I've been told snarky is a bad trait to have. I could say a few things about that but won't in a public forum.

Ministries that fail students? What about ministries that fail some of the adults around here. Yeah, I could name a few. It's sad to see some people who are placed in leadership positions who treat others poorly. Sad.

I wish you'd give some reviews of some of the books you've been reading. I'm always looking for something different to read.

And yes, I still read your blog. I have for years. (Holy cow. Oh sorry, guess that was snarky.)

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Need quotes-especially ones that might be "brain food."
PJNeal

9:46 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

My last day of school is June 24th - and then I have to go back the next Monday for a teacher work day, and Tuesday for a training, so my first official day of summer is June 29th. Seriously.

But don't worry - I will actually TEACH for (most of) the rest of the days...we do have a 1/2 day end of the year celebration at a park, and an afternoon field trip to the local high school to watch our students perform their play (because we are a performing arts school without a proper stage we have to use theirs). We still have things to cover and practice in 6th grade!

Other than the weather (cool and cloudy with rain), we're in summer mode here at the house - firing up the grill for the first time today! Hope it's not rusted through...(although Will might hope it IS rusted through so that he can get a new one!).

Thanks for blogging. I'm thinking it's time I at least posted some pictures in case I look back and wonder what went on during these months...

9:58 AM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

i read this too Brent....so stop feeling sorry for yourself ;).

Your's is pretty much the only one i check regularly :)

I don't know what local minstry you're referring to (or anything about the situation)---but I'd march right up there and give em a piece of my mind--after praying it through of course--I mean, I would want to make sure I didn't use too much strong language.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

I read this too Brent...so stop feeling sorry for yourself ;)
Your blog is one of the only ones I actually ever really read :)

I don't know the 'local ministry' to which you are referring (nor do I know any of the particulars of the situation)--but from what you gave us, I would go up there and give them piece of my mind --after praying it through of course. I mean, you have to choose you're strong language wisely right?

10:29 AM  
Anonymous chris said...

Regarding the yogurt situation: it's yogurt. What difference does it make if it's fruit-flavored or pie-flavored? Go for the taste...

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Tyler said...

I'm reading.

7:51 AM  
Anonymous Wes said...

Still reading...FYI our kids done with school last Friday and still had 1-2 fairly light weeks leading up to that. I guess the schools figure that they need to ease the kids into summer.

2:12 PM  
Blogger Robyn Rochelle E. said...

Reading
-miss blogs... and I am actually missing blogging regularly... wonder what the means.
Things are so superficial everywhere - I find blogging one of those places where most people get below the surface and dig in to some interesting thought processes... i miss that.
don't give it up.

11:20 PM  
Blogger Heidi Day said...

I don't think those donuts or eating at In N Out are going to help that goal of yours.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Brent said...

Heidi, I didn't eat the donuts...just purchased them! And, it's a counting calorie thing, and if I work it right, I can get the double-double animal style, skip a snack that day, elliptical machine, and still be under on the In-N-Out!

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home