Wednesday, November 17, 2010

"Telling Me The Beatles Are On iTunes Is Like Telling Me Grandpa Finally Got A Color TV"

Lots of hype yesterday about The Beatles songs are finally available on iTunes...

...and the title of today's entry pretty much summed up my thoughts on the matter.

First of all, I can't imagine any Beatles fan didn't already have their songs in several formats. I'm not much of a fan of theirs, but I had on of their many greatest hits compilations on vinyl, cassette, and CD already. Yeah, they were already in my iTunes library, too.

Secondly, it highlighted a generational reality: The Beatles are NOT relevant to the current generations of young people. They are historic in a sense. I mean, they know that they were important FIFTY YEARS AGO (and, as I maintain, more culturally important than musically innovative) but they probably couldn't name all four of them and really only a few songs.

Hence, the types of Twitter updates in the title of this post by twentysomethings.

Hence, FaceBook status updates that said, "Beatles on iTunes? I'll remember that then next time I actually BUY music off the internet...which means NEVER." What that means is that most younger folks don't see downloading music from sites for free as piracy, and iTunes is something THEIR PARENTS use. It's already "out."

So, as I was watching the news I was noting that the piece was really for the 35-54 folks in the world...

...because it was a punch line to younger generations.

Folks, if the church is serious about reaching them, we better learn how they operate.

Seriously.

Think about it.

And, ironically, I purchased Social Distortion's new single (to promote their January 2011 new CD release) off iTunes.

If you didn't catch the irony: Social Distortion is 25 years old. Punk is a quarter century removed from relevancy, and I'm in the target demographic using iTunes.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wait. where does the younger generation get their music? they all pirate the stuff they are listening to on their little ipods?

signed,
clueless!

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home