Friday, May 09, 2008

So, Today I'm Thinking...

...how surreal it must be to have NHL hockey above the fold of a Southern city's daily newspaper two days in a row.
...how surreal it was to watch the Stars fail to show up for game 1 against the Red Wings last night.
...how surreal it is watching the Rangers climb back to 4 games under .500.
...that Amy Winehouse was arrested yesterday for "suspicion of possession" of narcotics. In theory, couldn't you arrest her for that every day?
...that I'm going to come home early and mow the lawn this afternoon. Like my friend Retrophisch said yesterday, "It doesn't feel like the weekend really starts until you get your yardwork done."
...we're going to get our first 90 degree day tomorrow. Yuck.
...that Target has their hammocks on sale, and my 4 year-old one has been worn out by 4 years of weather. And 4 years of a heavier-than-needs-to-be me.
...that Shih Tzu's aren't really wired for a one-mile walk. Lloyd has been worn out for nearly a day and a half because of the one we took the other night.
...that there are a couple of books I'm off to purchase today, if the local bookstores have 'em. this one and another one on parenting.
...that there are three movies I want to see this weekend.
...that I'd really like to get Donald Miller to come to our church to speak, but I don't think as many folks in our congregation would be as excited as I would be.
...that I just found out I'm preaching in big church on May 25. I already have butterflies about this.
...that I remember all the excitement about the Kindle (that electronic book for book lovers, more or less an iPod for books) and now I don't hear anything about it. I wonder how that's working out for them.
...that the wedding I officiated last weekend was nice, and I like seeing so many former students in one spot.
...that I have senioritis and I'm not even a senior in high school.
...that the traffic in our town at 2499 and 407 is so bad that, at lunchtime, traffic backs up past our church and it takes me longer to get out of the jam than it does for me to get home.
...that I need to get back to my diet & exercise program. In a big way. I can really tell a difference at this age.
...that I found a program that will allow you to copy your DVD's (which you purchased) onto your iPod (technically, it's illegal to copy a DVD in any form or fashion, but I can't fathom how it's illegal to copy something you already purchased for personal use). Now, DVD companies have fashioned a method of security that prevents this on certain disks. Fair warning, DVD makers: It's spy vs. spy. The software company already said they're working on this issue, and it's only a matter of weeks. I find this hysterical.
...that a parent's heart will leap into their throat when the phone rings with the child's ringtone when said child is on the road in the car, and then it will take 5 minutes to calm down after they say, "Just stopped at the 7-11 for gas so I'll be a few minutes later than I said I would be." I wonder if this ever stops. The emotions. Not the phone calls. Those better not.
...that the situation in Myanmar is a place where the good old U.S. of A. can shine with regard to humanitarian aid, and their government has this idea that they need to disperse the supplies--creating an extra step. I fail to understand why any government would be concerned over procedure and perception when people need drinking water and medical care.
...that my house is inundated with wedding invitations & associated parties, and mission trip letters. They're all over the place. Occupational hazard.
...that I still need to sell my golf clubs.
...that my friends Steve-O & Mish are in town and I hope I get to see them. The reason for their travel is the graduation of Steve's sister Becca from university, officially ending college payments for my friends Bob & Sue and kicking off their empty nest "officially."
...that I need to get on with my day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home