Friday, May 30, 2008

New Music Friday!!!

I've been on quite a drought when it comes to music purchases. Well, for me, anyway. I usually wind up with new music about once a month or so...and I'm at that time of summer when I'm feeling like I should get something new loaded up on the Pod. So, today is your chance to expose Diner patrons to some new music they should check out...you get five. And five only. 5 little $0.99 jolts that should enhance our jump into June.

Here's mine, but I'm warning you, it might be a little on the melancholy side for some reason:

"Daughter" by Loudon Wainwright III. I don't know what it is about this song but somehow it expresses those realities that only a dad of daughters can have. Simple, but really beautiful.

"Highways and Cigarettes" by Son Volt. I've always thought the world would be a better place if the alt-country band Son Volt made it big. Dallas folks might be aware of a similar sound from locals The Old 97's. But this song is great.

"Whiskey" by Raleigh. One of my former students is the drummer for this local band. Interestingly, their CD "The House on Seedling Lane" is incredibly diverse. Check 'em out on MySpace or iTunes.

"Cut Your Hair" by Pavement. Don't you hate it when you're late to the game and a band somebody told you was awesome and they've already broken up? I can't believe how incredible this band was, and I'm kind of bummed that the members have all moved on to other projects.

"Something to Believe In" by The Pretenders. When anybody tells me that the 80's had lousy music, I tell people they were looking in the wrong places, man. There was some fantastic stuff that will stand the test of time, and this is a remake of a Ramones song that they actually did a better job than the original. The Pretenders had one of the top 100 albums of all-time (Learning to Crawl, for the uninitiated) and you can tell they'd mastered the craft by the time they remade this song...lots of nuances that made the band unique are all right here in one song. Chrissy Hynde is brilliant.

So, there's mine...what've you got for the rest of us?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home