Sunday, May 25, 2008

Well, It WAS Newsworthy...

Around 10:10 last night I was watching the NBC 5 newscast, and one of the stories was about the city of Arlington's new dog park opening. I like dogs. I like community in most of the forms it takes. So, I was happy.

Now, for those of you who don't know, Arlington is the official DFW playground. It has geography going for it, pretty much equidistant between Dallas and Fort Worth. It has been the beneficiary of good politics, too: Arlington's citizens have given tax breaks for entertainment dollars to pour in. Located off a major interstate and several highway arteries, they've snagged the Texas Rangers ballpark, the Dallas Cowboys new stadium, and major amusements like Six Flags over Texas and Wet 'N Wild water park. There are many others on a much smaller scale.

Anyway, the news story mentioned the opening of the new attraction and showed video of happy dogs & owners enjoying it. Who doesn't like video of dogs running around? I was still happy.

Until...

...the news-anchor mentioned that the name of the dog park, Tails & Trails, was voted on by the citizens of Arlington. Not that it's a bad name, mind you. But that Tails & Trails got more votes than...

...SIX WAGS.

Are you kidding me?

Arlington, you had a chance to name your dog park Six Wags and you chose Tails & Trails. I don't think it's even close, man.

But, apparently, I'm in the minority. I voiced this travesty to my smokin' hot shutterbug trophy wife, and she immediately let me know about four reasons why the one the people voted for was better. Kid2 concurred.

So, I guess I'll just have to go along with the reality that democracy has spoken. But, oh, man. I think the good folks of Arlington blew this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home