Saturday, February 23, 2008

The Romance of Buried Treasure

There's this guy in Germany. He's rattling around in his attic years ago and finds some of his father's things. Dad was a pilot in the German Air Force during WWII...and kept a journal. In that journal are some coordinates. Longitude and latitude.

Hmmm.

After doing some digging around, like interviewing other soldiers and such and doing Internet research and all that, he comes to the conclusion that there's some sort of buried treasure. Some think it's a famous wall of Russian art that's been missing since 1945 and other soldiers said they were part of a group that buried a lot of silver and gold that Nazi's wanted secured just before the end of the war.

Technology has discovered there's definitely a 60 square foot box under those coordinates, and they start digging next week.

And I got to thinking about what kinds of adventures you folks might've been on after discovering something in the personal effects of loved ones.

The only thing I ever found was a box of baseball cards. Now don't get me wrong, that was a tremendous find because it was a box of cards that my grandfather started with my cousin Jody and they'd put together quite a collection. Jody knew they were in his attic and said I could have them. That was kind of cool.

And, I've found plenty that's sentimental...like my father's class ring and wedding band (both of which I still have). My higher order life liver sister Jilly found my dad's favorite coffee mug (amidst my mom's things like 7 casserole dishes and 3 crock pots--who needs 7 casseroles, like, AT THE SAME TIME, or to cook three simultaneous meals in crock pots?).

But I've never discovered anything adventurous like that German guy did. In fact, I kind of hope they let us know what's in the big metal box next week. I'm plenty curious...even if it's just sentimental stuff like guns and bullets and helmets and other artifacts.

So, readers, what have you found that's either sentimental or lead you on an adventure of sorts while going through the stuff left behind from loved ones?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home