Wednesday, February 20, 2008

So, Today I'm Thinking...

...that I know I did this a few days ago, but I have lots of little things in my brain and not much I could put into a blog entry.
...that we're all going to have pretty much the same kind of day today if you read the horoscopes. I don't, but couldn't help but notice that all the numbers next to each astrological sign were sevens (out of 10). Well, except for Taurus. They're only 6's.
...that if Michael Clayton wins for Best Picture on Sunday, the whole Oscar system is a joke. Of course, with Disney getting three "best song" nominees from the same movie and Eddie Vedder getting shut out for his incredible soundtrack for Into the Wild, the whole system might already be a joke.
...that the Texas Rangers just locked down a 2nd baseman for 5 years and $20 million. Could be more with incentives and such. Now, don't get me wrong. He's a nice player, but he led the majors in errors for 2nd basemen and hit only 20 home runs. Hmmm. We have the nicest, most clean-cut players ever. I hope we enjoy their character, because .270-21-85 across the board ain't gonna get it done with our pitching staff.
...that I can't figure out how people can get the day off work/school (excused, I might add) to go see Obama at Dallas' Reunion Arena today. They'll fill the place up for a noon appearance. Hey, I can see hooky once a year on Opening Day or something like that, but a political speech?
...count me in among the masses who got into the band Pavement way too late. They're one of those bands that everybody started liking AFTER they broke up.
...that the sermon isn't coming together just yet. I still don't know why I fret over this moreso than the classes I teach every single week. I think it has more to do with the reality that in a classroom setting, it's interactive. I don't feel comfy with the "style" of sermon delivery, which is by-and-large a lecture format.
...sometimes, 10 minutes of listening to a two-year-old play and laugh can be just what the doctor ordered to get back "to center."
...I've been hearing a lot of talk about how "imaging" and "branding" are important to churches. On one hand I get it. I mean, when people see your logo/letterhead or walk into your building they make judgments about who you are, etc. On the other, there's got to be a balance between making folks feel comfortable that we're competent and such and doing what we're supposed to do: Preach the Word.
...I don't know how DVD-rental stores like Blockbuster stay in business with all the options out there. It must be video game rentals.
...man, my diet/exercise plan has taken a beating these last two weeks.
...that I need to get back to sermon prep for today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home