Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Merry Phisch-Mas!

My friend Retrophisch put this up on his blog and encouraged others to jump in and since today it's supposed to be very Christmassy as far as weather goes here in Big D, I thought I'd try to pounce on the Christmas vibe a bit. Feel free to copy the questions and respond on your own blogs, too!

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?

I dig the nog, man...but only in small doses. I'll probably have one cup once a week at some sort of organized Christmas function and I'll like them, but any more than that and I get tired of it pretty quickly.

2. Does Santa wrap the presents or just sit them under the tree?

We have a mixture. Some of them are out in plain sight...usually the ones that require some sort of assembly are visible. But mostly they aren't under the tree, and Kid1 & Kid2 have their own "area." Santa rarely has anything for the grownups, but the stockings are always filled with surprises for them.

3. Colored or white lights?

White, all the way. And the more rows and lines...the better.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?

Not even the fake stuff. I think it creates more awkward situations than it's worth!

5. When do you put your decorations up?

The Friday after Thanksgiving, no questions asked. It usually involves two trips to Target for bulk replacement bulbs and maybe a new extension cord or set of net lights for the bushes that goes on the fritz after everything's up.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish?

I can never get enough turkey man. And white meat at that.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child?

Going to Bessemer to spend Christmas Eve with my dad's family. My grandparents lived in this house that only had four rooms (and later added a room just so we could all fit in there after marriages and great-grandchildren came along) and it was full of energy, huge southern cooking, stockings (until you got married), gift exchanges and the same old jokes and stuff every year. My cousin Rob and his dad--my Uncle Jimmy--would sing all sorts of songs on the ukelele. It was everything a Christmas Eve should be: A loud, laughing, raucous celebration.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?

The first time I ever read "The Polar Express." Still the best explanation of the truth about Santa I've come across. That and the letter to Virginia that says, "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus."

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?

We let Kid1 & Kid2...usually some pajamas or something they can wear or use right then and there.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?

Our tree is in the corner and I get to decorate the back of the tree. We pull out the ornament box that has as many of the girls' ornaments they made at church Christmas craft things that are still together as well as ornaments we've gotten that help us remember something we did each year. My favorite ornaments are the Santa wearing Dallas Cowboys clothes that I got as a departing gift from the sports memorabilia store that put me through seminary, the ones from Pike's Peak, Rockefeller Center, Disney and a Dallas Theological Seminary ornament I got with a bookstore gift certificate that came in my graduation packet.

The ladies in my house decorate what everybody else sees.

11. Snow: Love it or hate it?

Love it in places where it's supposed to be, like Colorado, (one time it snowed on us at Family Camp in June) but I dislike driving in it anytime.

12. Can you ice skate?

Good enough...I can go backwards a little bit, too.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?

I've had some really good ones. Some were great because of the thought (like my girls getting me a hammock) and others were memorable because they gave my family lifetime memories (like my higher-order life-living sister gave us a trip to Disney). My mom gave me a trips to watch Auburn in bowl games like the Cotton in 86 and the Citrus in 87...and that last one was where I kissed Tracy for the first time, so I gotta say that gift had the longest lasting repercussions!

14. What’s the most important thing about the holidays for you?

It's often hard for me to escape the reality that the God of the Universe became flesh and dwelt among us. Occupational hazard. At some point each season that idea manifests itself in a very tangible way to me...I can't predict when or how, but it just does.

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert?

We don't really eat desserts. I usually eat a leftover turkey sandwich for dessert...but my wife makes a mean banana pudding.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?

The thing I like most is that we have these stocking hangers that sit on the mantle above the fireplace that are individual letters spelling out NOEL. At some point, one of my children will rearrange them to spell LEON. Right now, they read OLEN. We've also enjoyed going to our church's Christmas Eve services together. It's probably the only time all year we can actually all go and sit together as a family.

17. What is on top of your tree?

A gold star.

18. Which do you like best giving or receiving?

I definitely like giving the best. I like to see my girls open their presents. For some reason, I always feel awkward when opening gifts and I guess it's just the dad in me that prefers spending money on my family rather than have them spend money on me.

19. What is your favorite Christmas song?

Without question: "Arise, Shine" by Lost and Found. I absolutely love that song. It's a shame most folks have never heard it.

20. Do you like candy canes?

Not so much...although the ones in fruity flavors can be pretty good.

21. What is your favorite Christmas movie?

I go through a rotation. I kick off the season with "Christmas Vacation" and end it with "A Christmas Story." But I still have to say "It's A Wonderful Life." It's stood up incredibly well over time...and I'd imagine you could recreate the movie with better effects and sets and such, but you'll never recreate the chemistry between Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed. Wow. Also, must sees: The Grinch & Charlie Brown Christmas cartoons.

There you have it, patrons! I'll check your blogs to see your answers...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home