Friday, October 26, 2007

Tip Jar?

Every now and again I run into situations where I ask The Diner patronage social questions, and I came across one that reminded me of past discussions.

See, I've found that certain tipping situations are obvious...you know, like the waiter or waitress, the hairdresser, the valet, the bellhop, the cabdriver, etc. And our previous discussions were more along the lines of how much for their various services. We've also had discussions about whether or not to tip the barista or the grocery sacker if he comes to your car or the person who made your sandwich...you get it.

Anyway, last night I ran into a situation and I wasn't sure how much to tip.

I went to one of those "curbside pick-ups" at a chain restaurant. You know, right? Where you call the restaurant and by the time you drive to the place your food is ready. You give them the kind of car you drive and when you pull into their specially marked places they bring your order out to you.

Well, quandary.

All the server did was bring pre-made bag out to my car, take my payment and go inside to complete the transaction. When she came back out, there was a blank for "tip" as I filled out the slip for the debit card. So, since she was friendly, and the order was correct and everything went smoothly and our order wasn't all that expensive anyway, I went with a 10% tip.

But then I doubted.

Should that instance have been 20%?

Or 5%?

Or zero?

I'm just not sure on the curbside to-go tip, folks.

And I really trust you people...

...so, a little help?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home