Sunday, September 09, 2007

So, Today I'm Thinking...

...that I'm such a creature of habit that when the newspaper isn't out when I go to pick it up, I'm reminded of my grandfather, who would stand in his driveway and wait until the paperboy (back when they had those) showed up around 5:45AM and would lecture him that if he wanted the afternoon paper (back when towns had two competing papers), he'd subscribe to that one.
...speaking of newspapers, did anybody else notice how much the Dallas Morning News "Religion" section every Saturday has gone downhill since they moved it from its own section to the last two pages of the "Metro" section?
...did anybody else notice that the local Texas Rangers are 29-26 since the All-Star break? Or, from a season low of 19 games below .500, they've now moved to within 7 games of .500 and are one game out of 3rd place in the division?
...that my diet/exercise program has really been encouraging as at the end of the first six-week "cycle" (I'll take next week off from weights and only do cardio) I've lost 18 pounds. So, I'm about halfway toward my weight loss goal.
...that I'm pretty amazed at myself for going the longest without breaking my New Year's Resolution. This year, I decided to stop drinking carbonated beverages. Haven't had one since New Year's Eve.
...that it's pretty funny watching your dog sniffing near the edge of the neighbor's yard and their sprinkler system comes on unexpectedly and he goes on a dead sprint all the way into the house.
...that after watching Auburn's first two games (one win, one OT loss last night) I might have to revise my prediction to 7-5. They really don't look like a good football team but it's hard to tell if it's because they've played two teams that will go to bowl games this year or because they haven't played well. It's likely a combination of both, but they should get better in the next two weeks with some easier teams coming on the schedule.
...that we started a pretty good set of class offerings in our adult Christian education department at church this week and I've been pretty pleased with the turnout so far. We might want to delay the start of things next year a week or two because people are still learning their schedules as school only started two weeks ago. We're used to having four weeks before we launched and people were already in their grooves. Now it looks like they're still trying to figure out their grooves if the phrase, "Oh, yeah. That did start this week, didn't it? I totally forgot we'd signed up for that but will be there next week." is any indication.
...that the Cowboys start tonight and I've got to set the DVR.
...that I have little sympathy for the families of illegal immigrants who have lived here 8 or 10 years and get caught on some sort of travel violation or the like. The news here has about a family per month like that with stories like that, where they've been living here on an expired tourist visa for 13 years and their kids don't know any other homeland so deportation is unfair. Now, the immigration laws might need reform or whatever (and yes, I know it's a complicated issue), but if you're here on an expired tourist visa and all that jazz, well, deportation it is, lady. No matter how sad. The state isn't doing that to your kids, you did that to your kids. That's the deal.
...that the weather anchors on newscasts seem pretty excited that a cold front is coming in from Canada and should lower temperatures by 20 degrees next week. I'm surprised they're not telling us to stock up on bread and milk just in case it gets a little icy with that wind chill pushing us into the lower 60's.
...that we've got our first open-house this week for Kid1's art school and I'm actually kind of excited about it.
...that I'm thinking of doing a top-10 list of meaningful music videos of all-time. Obviously, I'm not thinking about Michael Jackson's "Thriller" (which was good as art, but not particularly meaningful to people), but more along the lines of Blind Melon's "No Rain." Great song. Great video with a meaningful message...I can't tell you how I can't wait to use this video in a class of parents to explain how we all have to "find our own tribe of bees." This video would be in my top 10 for meaning...any suggestions for that list?
...that when my hair is at this stage of growth--that point where it's long enough to donate but to do so now would cause me to look like George Washington on the dollar bill after the shearing--and knowing that I've got about six more months of keeping it this long, well, I begin to think of donating it and just going back to a regular haircut. But then I remember my friend Liz telling me that she really liked it long and that I should never put our congregation through the growing out phase ever again.
...that I'm amazed at our 5 O' Clock Worship service has transformed over time. It's really grown into a service that's friendly for the whole family and if anybody didn't like it at first, maybe it's time for a re-visit. I knew it'd take 6 months or so to get it up and running, but I'm not sure everybody else knew that. I really like the scaled-down worship and intimate feel even though so many people are coming.
...that my reading is still sporadic and I have no idea how to get past that. When I have the time to sit and read for pleasure I'm usually too tired to focus.
...that this time next month I'll be hanging out with Margaux. This excites me.
...that I need to get on with my day. There's MUCH to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home