Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Funk Hard With A Vengeance

It's been a while. Really. It has.

But, oh man, did a life-funk hit yesterday. Vicious. I have no idea where it came from. I have no idea why it's here. I have no idea what the duration will be.

And I'm in it deep.

Now, don't get me wrong...

...I'm aware that it could go away any minute. Or it could take days. Funks are like that. Dr. Suess said it best, "Unslumping yourself is not easily done." But, it will go away. The unslumping will occur. It's truly a matter of time.

Now, in the past when I've been funking I've asked for funk cures from the Diner patrons. Got everything from dumb movies to ice cream flavors to prayers to unfunkifying music and everything else we normally do to fight through these things. But today...

...it's overcast. Drizzly, even.

Which is perfect for just hunkering down and reveling in the funk. So, today, I'm going to try to fight the funk by playing it's game...

...by just relishing the funk.
...by just rolling around in the funk.
...by just embracing the funk.

So, let's make an iTunes music playlist. We'll call it the "Rolling Relishing Embracing Funk Playlist." Music for beating the funk at the funk's own game. Now, I expect this to be tricky, kids...keep in mind the songs are not to increase the funk--that's not a good place to be or a good desire to have, either--or to eliminate the funk. Those are entirely different playlists altogether. The goal here is to one that will allow you to relish, roll around in, and/or embrace the funk. Like I said, it isn't easy. But here are my first 10 contributions:

"Misery Loves Company" by Mike Ness
"Square One" by Tom Petty
"300 M.P.H. Torrential Downpour Blues" by The White Stripes
"Going to California" by Led Zeppelin
"Drown" by Son Volt
"Lightning Crashes" by Live
"Oh, Me" by Nirvana
"Betterman" by Pearl Jam
"Bad Day" by R.E.M.
"Anywhere's Better Than Here" by The Replacements

Have at it, patrons!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home