Friday, August 10, 2007

Quote from Anne Lamott

*note: many of you may know that I started making observations from Titus the last two days. In no way do I feel bound to do so daily, but rather more as a consistent way to "fill-in" when other topics don't jump out at me. I hope you can appreciate that...I'm not sure I want The Diner to become a hang-out for Bible studies, although, since that has a place in my life, it has a place here. I tried running The Diner and opening a Bible Study hang-out once, but didn't have the energy to run both. So, please consider the Titus study the substitute teacher here, okay?

I like Anne Lamott's writing.

I especially like Anne Lamott's writing when the topic is her spiritual life.

I like the Bible's emphasis on "grace."

I especially like the Bible's emphasis on grace as it relates to how we live in the here and now.

So, when Anne Lamott writes a book entitled, "Grace (Eventually): Thoughts on Faith" it rises to the top of my reading stack (which is abysmal at present--where are all the good books?).

I read the introduction before bedtime last night and this jumped out at me:

"There is not much truth being told in the world.

There never was. This has proven to be a major disappointment to some of us. When I was a child, I thought grown-ups and teachers knew the truth, because they told me they did. It took years to discover that the first step in finding out the truth is to begin unlearning almost everything adults had taught me and start doing all the things they told me not to do. Their main pitch was that achievement equaled happiness, when all you had to do was study rock stars, or movie stars, or them, to see they were mostly miserable. They were all running around in mazes like everyone else.

On the other hand, sometimes you encountered people who'd stopped playing everyone else's game, who seemed to be sem-happy and with it, who said, in so many words, I saw the cheese, I lived on it for years, and it wasn't worth it. It was plain old Safeway Swiss."


Oh, man...

...even in the introduction she provokes big time!

Your thoughts, kids?

*pours coffee & waits*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home