Saturday, August 11, 2007

The Importance of Expository Preaching

Every so often, people ask me to give them some podcasts to listen to. I think iPods have been helpful to people in that they've given them free access to some very good Biblical teaching they can listen to while driving, mowing, working out, etc.

But, I'm hesitant because my tastes aren't really that mainstream. But my good friend Mike sent me a link to something that might have appeal outside my normal circles. He found a link to Alistair Begg's sermons regarding the importance of expository (verse by verse) preaching and for those of you looking for something to do while mowing, driving or working out...I think you might like it.

For those of you who don't have time, here's a couple of thoughts from the sermon:

"We've become very familiar with preaching that pays scant attention to the Bible, is self-focused, and is consequently only capable of making the most superficial impact upon the lives of the listeners...therefore they leave satisfied with the feeling that it has done them some good...In the absence of bread, the congregation grows accustomed to cake."

"It is imperative, I think, that we acknowledge and remember and help each other to acknowledge and remember, that when we gather together as companies of God's people it is not to enjoy preaching eloquence or to criticize the lack thereof. But it to hear and to heed the Word of God. We come to be exhorted, not to be entertained."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home