Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Pity Party

Those days.

We all have them. Some folks more than others, but we all can relate to having one of those days. And I had one yesterday. No worries, kids. Like I said, we all have them, and it really wasn't that big of a deal, anyway.

But I had one of those days. The last thing that didn't go well was trying to arrange a video chat session with my Barnstorming Brother-in-Law Shane so I could get a glimpse of my higher-order life-liver sister Jilly's pregnant belly. See my computer has the capability to do that stuff and I'd never tried it. Turns out it'll be a relatively easy fix but as with most things technological, I don't have that ability to enact the "easy fix" so it'll have to wait a few days or so.

I know. Real tough life, right?

But it was a series of things that should've been "easy fixes" that I didn't have the capability to fix. You get the idea.

So, I tried to fight my way out of the self-pity: Loud music on the way home didn't work, and I tried three different genres. Watching a few episodes of The Office didn't help, either.

Then, I tried to indulge the self-pity, hoping that a brief indulgence would wash it all away. Watching MTV's Cribs is usually good for that sort of thing, too. You know, watching people overspend for luxuries I'll never have? That's usually good for indulging the pity. Well, it didn't work this time...largely because I didn't really want anything Ludacris had.

Then, I tried to eat the self-pity away. Suffice to say that a Big Nasty from McAlister's is a nice attempt. And it worked, albeit briefly. But then the food was gone.

Then, I tried to entertain the self-pity away...tried to get my daughters to design the way they want their names for my next tattoos using really cool fonts. That was kinda fun, but I didn't really choose a good activity for my involvement because when I tried to get involved they told me they were doing it.

Then, I thought about goofing around with Lloyd--the greatest of all dogs, Part II. But he's not the kind of dog that you take to the park and throw a tennis ball for an hour while he chases it. He's more of a dog that sits there and wags his tail and everybody says how cute he is. Which is true, but cuteness during a pity party isn't going to cut it.

Then, I tried to ignore the self-pity by reading a book...getting my mind on something else. I'm not choosing the right books these days because my motivation to read is zilch based on what's in my stack.

Then, I tried to zap the self-pity by watching the news. You know, seeing that other people have it worse and all that? Well, let's just say that it's a slow news day and some people actually had it better than me.

But then...

...the magic potion of sleep.

And I woke up today raring to go. Life is full and it's spring break.

Like I said, it was one of those days.
We all have them.

But it made me wonder what everybody else does during their pity parties.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home