Friday, February 09, 2007

Recommendations Galore

I've got a ton to do.

We've been swamped and short-staffed at work.

It's a "good" busy, though. Warp speed, but we're having fun. The energy level is up and things are getting done.

And I caught myself griping yesterday. Not out loud, mind you, just enough to where I went back and counted how many references I was being asked to fill out and send in. The e-mails all come from former teens off at college who are getting ready for working at summer camps or going on mission trips or planning on entering seminary in the fall. At least they've made it easy, though, as each mail has a blue underlined link that takes me to a web page where I at least can click/type/send and knock it out quickly instead of stacking them in my inbox/xeroxing for back-up/stamping/mailing.

[all of what follows is what went on in my brain]

"Another one? What the heck?"

[goes back and checks MS office e-mail inbox to see how many requests have come in the last week]

"one...two...three/four/five/.................... six/seven... eight.............................. nine/ten/eleven...

TWELVE!"

"That's twelve in one freakin' week. Figure 10-15 minutes per rec, do the math, carry the two, divide by 60...

(wait for it)

That's about two-and-a-half to three hours just spent on typing in recommendations for these kids. Manalive, I really needed three hours, too. This is getting ridiculous. I'm wondering if I need some sort of assistant to do that kind of stuff...but I don't get how that'd help because the assistant wouldn't know enough to recommend the kid. I guess I'm stuck with the freakin' three hours."

(wait for it)

[different voice in my brain than my own]

"There'll be some middle schooler at camp who doesn't know Christ and that particular college kid has the gifts and talents and passions to build a relationship with that camper and will most likely lead them to the Lord. You might just read a book by that little camper at some point in the future who mentions that defining moment as to why she is now leading some huge ministry."

"That particular teen on that particular mission trip will benefit not only the group they intend to minister to, but he'll carry the team through those tough moments in a different culture because of his personality and joyful countenance."

"Seminary is just what that former student needs to have foundations for a lifetime of ministry. It's the one thing he lacks at the moment, and the two-year parenthesis will yeild a harvest for the Kingdom."

(this happens nine more times in similar fashion)

[my own brain-voice returns]

"Yeah. I get it. Those are three freakin' stuck hours. Those might be the best three hours on a bang-for-the-buck investment you might make this particular week."

[out loud, but under my breath]

"Sorry, Lord. The Kingdom's about people. I was about paperwork, organizational puzzles and this, that and other things. Let your thoughts be my thoughts a bit more often, and get me the hell out of the way of Your work. I really don't want to hinder the work you're doing on the planet right now."

So...

...I hit "send" with a joyful attitude that God is at work in this world right now, in and through dear friends of mine (who happen to be former students) who are being obedient to what God is asking of them for this summer. Thankful that I'm surrounded by friends/former students who think this way and are gifted/talented/passionate that make it easy for me to honestly recommend them for the roles they want to undertake.

And kicked myself a little bit for being so selfishly ambitious.

Live and learn.

And, hopefully...

...grow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home