Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Re-Calibration

My days, like most everyone's I know, start early and end late.

Granted, I enjoy my people-oriented job and I enjoy the folks I work with so that's nice--I'm fully aware that many others don't have the luxury of doing what they enjoy. They work for varieties of reasons and can do what they love later--which most people call "hobbies." But I like what I do.

Yet, I can work myself into a frenzy like anybody else.

It can start with a quick meeting...say to discuss what we need to do to get that video shot for the middle school group that night. Then the phone rings to check on the meeting time for coffee. I've got to get that two hours' worth of studying done for the class I'm teaching that night. The assistant needs me to sign off on the check request for the bus payment. A distressed mom "just wants a minute" to talk about a situation with her teen while she's at the church anyway. Now, I'm behind on studying, but the weekly staff meeting starts, followed by checking e-mail during the 10 minute break before the pastor's meeting, which goes until lunch. Lunch with a colleague is nice, but I've GOT to get back and study. Two quick things from the assistant need my attention. Tracy calls and we work out an alternate plan for child pick-up because I'm not going to be able to break away and still be on time to teach my class. Two e-mails for references for former teens have GOT to be done because today's the deadline. Finally, get the study completed and notes typed before the 6:00PM deadline when admin asisstants go home and turn them in for binding. Consider going to grab a quick bite before my class...but don't. Teach the class. Pick up kid immediately afterward. Talk about the day. Make a quick dinner at home.

The day wasn't bad at all. Some of it was downright enjoyable.

Sure, some of it was mundane. Some of it was deadline induced but I said I'd do it.

Some of it was helpful.

And, like I said, I enjoy what I do, so it was all-in-all a pretty average/nice day.

But I get to recalibrate on occasion...you know, get "centered" and reminded who I am and who He is. I can pray before, during and after meetings--that kind of behavior is encouraged, in fact. I can focus on Him when the mom is sees growth in her teen. I can sense His presence when I study His living and active word. I can be aware of Him when I fellowship and enjoy the students in my class. The ability to re-calibrate is hard-wired into my day at various points. I could tell my boss that I'm taking a walk to spend some time alone with God and I'd get at least mild understanding, if not a full-blown "good for you."

I have no idea how other folks do that. The teacher. The lawyer. The homemaker/family manager. The business owner. The barber. The minimum wage waiter bringing my lunch. The salesperson.

So, I'm curious as to how the person who has a job that isn't working for God re-calibrates. When? How? It's something I've never really thought through before...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home