Sunday, February 25, 2007

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

The "good" from yesterday:

The fine folks at the Apple store replaced Kid1's fancy-schmancy bells-and-whistles iPod without so much as a blink. Her iPod was flashing some screen telling her that big trouble was afoot. The guy behind the desk, wearing a t-shirt that read, "Genius," turned it on, saw the screen, listened to it, got out a box to mail it in, had Kid1 sign a form and we were out the door in a matter of seconds.

Auburn beat Alabama in basketball again! This time on Bama's home floor, and potentially knocking them from contention from the NCAA tournament.

We spent some time in conversation with Kid1 last night. She's going through a class at our church on sex & dating in our culture...and there's discussion questions for parents. For about an hour, we had meaningful conversation with our teenager.

Kid2 gave herself a little break from dance this weekend in order to go to our church's Bible conference designed especially for teenagers. They get to hear from our pastors & staff as well as have some "lock-in" type fun. She had fun and told me some of the things she learned.

The wife and I still had time for a date. We could've picked a better movie, but, hey...we actually went out as grownups. Kid1 and Kid2 were thrilled to have the house to themselves for a few hours, too.

The "bad" from yesterday:

I had a parent tell me that their kid should be able to bring their iPod and PSP to church/Sunday School because "they get bored too easily." I would've said more but my brain went into overload and anything I said certainly wouldn't have been from a motivation of love.

I saw a mom driving, talking on a cell phone, while letting her child watch a DVD. Keep in mind that they were driving around town. I'd say more but my brain's on overload and anything I say certainly won't be from a motivation of love. Am I the only one that leaves my mobile phone on silent when I drive or am with others (the exception being that around 3:30PM, if I'm with you, I'm on stand-by with the wife for possible kid taxi responsibility) and that maybe you could turn off the DVD player and somehow chat with your kid?

Hollywood just pushes some things too far for no reason. It was funny enough WITHOUT some of the parts they included, and those parts didn't seem necessary at all. I'm all for pushing the envelope and am far from a prude, but when you have a funny premise, let it BE funny. You don't have to go crass under the guise of thumbing your nose at the establishment. If you want to push the envelope now, you should be more Cosby-esque in your approach.

The "ugly" from yesterday:

Some sort of front is moving through and bringing sustained 30 m.p.h. winds with it. It blew through here, shutting down the airport, blowing down power lines (our willow tree somehow miraculously survivied, despite the 3-foot crack in the trunk) and making a general mess of things. It also lowered visibility to about a half-mile because it brought in all the cotton field dust from West Texas and our town was clay-red for about three hours. It was gross and smelled like dirt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home