Wednesday, November 15, 2006

The Perfect Thing

I'm currently reading a book entitled The Perfect Thing: How the iPod Shuffles Commerce, Culture and Coolness by Steven Levy. It's a fascinating read, detailing how the successful little Mp3 player came into existence and the entrepreneurial climate Apple co-founder Steve Jobs established that would allow for that successful little Mp3 player to come into existence.

And a couple of quotes stood out to me:

"...some of the attributes behind Jobs's success: his unwavering focus, his insistence on excellence, and his belief in his own vision. These were all in play when Apple developed the iPod. Jobs did not invent the device, but he created conditions that made it possible and focused on ensuring that the end result would meet his exacting standards. It may not be accurate to say that only under the leadership of Jobs and the culture he created could the iPod have been devised and only under Jobs could it have further evolved into its current dominance--but there is undeniable fact that no one else did it."

Later, Levy notes, "You would think that a run like that [iPod was selling 5 million players every quarter] would pause to take a breath, and certainly a willingness by the company to ride with the most successful versions of the iPod. But that is not what Jobs had in mind...[quoting Jobs now] 'And a lot of people think it's really great, we've got a lot to lose, let's play it safe. That's the most dangerous thing we can do. We have to get bolder, because we have world-class competition now and we just can't stand still.'"

And it's peculiar that I'm reading this book at this time in my life.

See, over the last month my staff and I been re-evaluating our student ministry systems. I've given my staff a white board, some markers--and more importantly, an eraser--and some parameters. They're bringing the creativity and design. They present to me on Friday.

I'm sure what will happen on Friday won't be the end result of the deal. We'll tinker and such for another few meetings.

And I'm expecting greatness, frankly.

I have a vision and insist on excellence in this deal. It may not look like it to outsiders, but I'm more passionate about this ministry more than ever...maybe it's because after 19 years you know the stakes you're playing for.

I hope I've created conditions that will allow my staff to get there. If nothing else, I've stayed out of all their meetings thus far. But I think we've got a fun-factor and an attitude that will allow their innovative selves to shine.

And, yes, we've had a bit of what people would call ministry "success." We do have a lot to lose. We could play it safe if we wanted.

Steve Jobs went re-vamped the iPod at the height of sales--went with something called "flash memory." Ultimately this technology led to the Nano and eventually the video capability we all secretly want. And, yes, I'm aware of all the books about Steve Jobs and what a lousy boss he is...but the guy invented Apple, got fired--and then headed up a little company called Pixar--, came back and saved Apple from bankruptcy to enhance their stock to 700 times the value it had the day he took over. He took the calculated risk to make a good thing truly a great thing.

I'm no Steve Jobs. This could happen under a number of people's leadership.

But I'm pretty excited about my staff's meeting this morning to finalize the presentation they'll make to me on Friday.

I have a "good vibe" about all this.

And I hope 2007's student ministry year at our church hits with the same impact that iPod hit with in 2004. For reasons way better than money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home