Thursday, September 21, 2006

You Know, "Fun" Doesn't Really Describe It

Flying stand-by.
Arrive DFW at 7:15AM. Read for an hour and a half.

First available flight, 9:15AM. Get into the jetway only to be recalled--the couple they were waiting on got in before the door closed, so me and this nice lady had to come back out. Text-messaged Meredith to let her know I wouldn't be able to make her youth ministry class with her.

Go to next gate. Read for two hours.

Next flight, 12:05PM. Not even close. Overbooked.

Arrive at the next gate. Read for two and a half hours.

Next flight, 3:40PM. Close, but no cigar. Me and the nice lady from Springfield trying to get to Portland become friends after seeing each other at the same gates.

Arrive at the next gate. Read for an hour and a half.

Next flight, 5:40PM. Lobby clears out. Names are called. No one left but me. Ticket counter lady says it's the last call for Portland flight #2211, and asks me if I'm waiting. I said, "Yep. Stand-by." She says she thought she called all the names on the list but she'd double check. "Nope. You're here, and we've got two seats. Here you go!"

It's 3B. First-class. Nice.

Get to seat. Put stuff in overhead bin except book and iPod.

Plane backs up. Strange noise. Plane pulls forward. Dudes check engine that triggered a warning light. They double check it. We leave an hour late...I read.

Four hour flight. I read...amidst pampering. Chicken. Vino. Ice cream. Hot towels. Nice. I finished the book. 567 pages. A business book. Tough read, but had some stuff I can use.

Arrive Portland at 8:25PM their time.

My luggage actually beat me here. It was locked in a glass case and I saw it before I waited in line. A nice employee unlocked the case for me and I had luggage faster than everyone else on my flight.

I call the fam. Just to let 'em know I'm here. There was minor rejoicing, but it was late in Texas.

I call the Alperts. A little late to get together since they have to work tomorrow, so we decide to just wait until dinner tomorrow.

I rent the car. Hyundai Elantra...I spared no expense.

I saw the coolest sight on I-5: Portland at night, reflecting in the Willamette River. That alone made all day worth it. Manalive what a beautiful city at night. I'm already sold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home