Wednesday, September 06, 2006

So, Today I'm Thinking...

...that if you need proof that there's a media bias in college football, look no further than this week's poll. U.S.C. jumped three spots OVER teams who won, from #6 to #3 by simply beating a banged-up Arkansas team. The logic for Auburn getting screwed in 2004 was that that U.S.C. and Oklahoma started #1 and #2 and never lost. Well, Auburn started #4 and never lost, as did Notre Dame, yet they're both tied for fifth this week. It's really NOT a fair system. Sure, Auburn's got to win all their games, but if the winner of the Ohio State/Texas game & U.S.C. go unbeaten, Notre Dame and the Auburn/LSU winner, or Tennessee/Georgia/Florida winner (all 5 SEC teams in the top 12) will get left out.

...that Dane Cook is NOT funny and might be the most overrated comedian of all-time. As exhibit "A" I submit his most recent HBO special.

...that I'm not sure where I stand on HellHouse 16: Final Destination and others like it. I mean, it's possible that this is a highly effective ministry and I have no doubt many teens will make professions of faith. There's room in The Kingdom for people who believe this is a good ministry and it's highly likely they believe they're doing something meaningful. However, I wonder if the number of folks "put off" is too large a price to pay. Not to mention their flyer is a little fuzzy: It says, "It's an opportunity for Pastors and Youth Leaders alike to bring their students to an event like HellHouse and walk away with their students' lives being forever changed." Then it also says, "We are clearly trying to reach the unchurched in our surrounding communities with the intense message of HellHouse." Oh yeah, and "A quick note the HellHouse does incorporate intense violence, disturbing images and some thematic elements. Parent direction is advised for children under 13 years of age." I'm really uncomfortable that this exists but at the same time I think I just need to get over myself on this one. It isn't my cup of tea, that's for sure.

...that I never commented on a local pastor who was convicted of all sorts of debauchery. It involved accusations of rape and drug use and lying and cheating...all very tabloid stuff. Several people asked me to blog about it, but the only comment that I have is that the reality of it is I'm capable of ANY sin if I'm not Spirit-led, so I best be about pursuing that. Other than that, I think the justice system worked brilliantly in this case from what I read.

...my movie going has really slowed down and I only have four months left of my pass. I better hop to it.

...that the fine folks at Lowe's make building a mailbox easy. Well, it isn't really "building" per se, but more one of those deals where a guy shows you everthing you need and then you just click it all together like Legos.

...that I'm excited for my friend Keila, who got the part of Lucy in the drama department's production of The Chronicles of Narnia. I don't mind telling you, the drama departments of the local high schools, like pretty much everything else extracurricular at the local high schools, are top-drawer.

...that my senior pastor came back from Portland telling stories and it all sounded so cool. I definitely want to visit Mike & Katie's church sometime.

...baseball season sure is deflating when your team is out of it in September, but here comes the NFL and the NHL to the rescue!

...some people are moving and they came to our office to say "goodbye" which involved some tears by them as well as some on our staff. Sometimes I think those of us that work there take that for granted, that CBC is really a pretty nice "community" even if we're a "large" church.

...I've got a friend who wants to take off the summer and visit every major league park next year in a couple of month road trip. The levels of temptation on that are astounding, and I daydream of ways to try to make it work and still balance out all my other responsibilities.

...it was 87 degrees here today and most everyone was in a very good mood.

...that Bible study is in a few minutes, so I gotta go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home